RMA Draghunt at Tweseldown - blimey!

star

Visit site
OMG - what a bunch of nutters! I've never been so fast in all my life. I am however alive and buzzing to tell the tale.

So, off we went to Tweseldown in the rain. Explained to person next to me it was my first time and they gave me some pointers. Met a nice girl on a nice looking eventer walking across and she was also on her own so chatted to her for a bit. Stood around for 15mins getting soaked and cold while people nattered and drunk whatever it was in the shot glasses - I didn't try it. Llewi was shaking by this point - either cold or excited, but he certainly knew where he was and had to keep him moving so he didn't strike out or rear.

Eventually set off on the first line. I stayed near the back with the other people with green ribbons but soon regretted that as they had no brakes and the horses were pratting around. Anyway, first line was fairly short - only 3 jumps and I missed them out as just wanted to try and settle him a bit. Walked round in circles for another 15mins as he was standing on his back legs every time we stopped.

2nd line I started off in the first third thinking he might not pull as much and I wouldn't have so much trouble with other people but he was a frigging nutter. Kept yanking the slippery rains out of my hands and I was not having fun. We were going far too fast over jumps I had no idea of what they were going to be like so we gradually slipped back down the field and I bridged the reins on his neck which helped a bit. Steadied up a bit and jumped some logs, A-frames and down a big drop. Lost the field at one point, but was with others who were having braking issues and we soon caught them up again. Perhaps if I had the guts to go at their speed he wouldn't have yanked my arms out of their sockets but they go soooooo fast!

Another 15mins of walking in circles and then set off on the last line round the XC course. He was flying and we just went for it. We jumped the big log I couldn't get over last time we were there, then the brush with the ditch behind it (also couldn't do last time) then big tyre jump then the coffin (also couldn't do last time) then a right angled pair of logs which he neatly popped 2 strides in and jumped both on the angle like a complete pro. Then through the water, up the step, back down again and up and out over the big house. Up the steps and through the woods. Little did I know half the field had gone a different way, we were just merrily following the people in front. Come to a step up and then a solid looking 2ft9 fence and just before take off I realised there was one stride to a bloody great drop. Sat back and prayed, lost my knitting, madly scrabbled it back up as were headed at the next Intro fence on the course which he flew. Lost reins again - I had MacWets on which are meant to be grippy but wet leather is not good for grippiness. Completely lost control as he tried to catch up with the rest of the field. Popped small log jump and pulled him up with difficulty for quick breather then set off again and didnt jump anything else as didn't feel in control and didn't think he was looking where he was going enough to be safe. We only missed out a few at the end though. Never been so fast and never jumped from such a speed. Serious adrenaline rush! Llewi finished absolutely full of running, still bouncing around as we walked around to cool off and bounced all the way back to the trailer. He wasn't even blowing. Looked a little tucked up when I got off and was a bit cold so bundled him up in lots of rugs and got him home.

Hopefully photographer got a few shots of us - just waiting for pics to go up. Seriously need to find a better bit for stopping him - thinking maybe a gag to help raise his head. The pics I have of him from before I got him show him hunting in a snaffle. Perhaps normal hunting is more sane or he is just mega fit now. I would go again, but definitely need more brakes. Just got home and had long hot shower and am finally warming up and thawing out!

Gucci_b

Visit site
LOL :) You had fun then???? Their was a good turn out today, dispite the weather. Waitting around for a bit, is to make sure every one is o.k and have caught up. Have you the links for both photo's guy's!!

star

Visit site
have you got the link for them again please?

i did look for you, but couldn't remember quite what you looked like having only met the once. Llewi loved it, but I need some brakes! I think we'll be back again though :grin:

palomino698

Visit site
I am so envious, have happy memories of xc schooling at Tweseldown over 30 years ago... but I'm far too much of a wimp for draghunting! Well done - our 14hh Welsh D runs blind with her head in the air and isn't much fun to jump out hunting in a tight group. My daughter has her in a kimblewick and grackle at the moment but she used to show jump well in a Waterford - may be worth trying one?

Will you be taking him out again soon?

star

Visit site
i tried a waterford on my hard pulling old welsh cob and he ran straight through it - it was very scary! luckily i only tried it show-jumping and quickly swapped back to the pelham for the XC phase!

i'm going to try a grackle as he only had a cavesson on and i think a cheltenham gag but i'm not sure it'll stop the snatching - that's a bad habit! he might have to wear a standing martingale and not jump much for a few outings to get the message across.

gonna try and go out again in a fortnight.

winterhorse

Visit site
Hi star, sorry to hear about the brakes issue, hope to see u at barrossa, is that where u are aiming for next?
Feel i must explain, we always hunt at Twesledown after the hunt ball, which was sat nite, as the lines are short, with optional jumping, to give an easy day to "tired" hunt staff and we still get a good turn out, without are regulars who got too smashed to come. :grin: :grin:

star

Visit site
i think so - what are the lines at barossa like?

i didnt think the ones at Tweseldown were a bad length lol - certainly not for a first time and with no brakes!

jane1234

Visit site
Having hunted at Barossa, I wouldn't recommend it if you have no brakes. It can get a bit twisty and you really need to have some element of control ! It's great fun if you have brakes though lol I would say Barossa is faster than Tweseldown, I think Tweseldown is quite tame :)

star

Visit site
maybe twisty will slow him down! i hope i now have brakes - cheltenham gag and grackle and better reins and gloves too! please dont say t/down tame though - maybe it was coz i started at the back and pony was trying to work his way to the front or coz his legs are 6inches shorter than most but it felt bloody fast to me!

jane1234

Visit site
Keep going and you'll get used to it. He'll settle down, they all do eventually. Some just take a little longer than most. Mine still bounces on his front feet at the start of every meet and this is his 4th season with the drag. He just wants to get going and once they are going, he is great. Everyone knows him and they just ignore it !

surreyhorsechick

Visit site
Hi everyone! My friend Beccy and I are going Drag Hunting for the first time on Sunday at Barossa - we went to Tweseldown to watch proceedings and get an idea of pace etc - it was BLOODY cold I can tell you!! What did surprise us was how much distance there ended up being between the Master and the people at the back. At one point, the Master had stopped at the end of the line by the end of the racecourse (just before line through x-country jumps) and we could still see people on other side of course at the back going at a more leisurely pace - quite reassuring that no-one gets left behind if horses start to tire!

ANYWAY, please look out for us on Sunday (skewbald cob and little Welsh C) and fingers crossed for brakes!!!!!

Ps - do those of you who hunt with RMAS plait? I am in two minds as my boy's mane is pulled short and thought I may get away with just going 'au naturel?' as long as it looks smart?

Gucci_b

Visit site
Yerh..... and best to plat. c u there :)
keep an eye on their web site, as if too bad to hunt (due to the weather) they will pop it on the site. or give them a call

star

Visit site
i'll be there - i'm on the clipped chesnut Welsh D (unplaited) with 3 white socks, a bloody great Cheltenham gag in his gob and constantly walking round coz if i stand still he rears up! hardly anyone was plaited at Tweseldown when I went - I was surprised as thought most people would be. Also seemed acceptable to wear a dark coloured waterproof jacket instead of show jacket if raining. Was surprised at some of the tack worn though - brightly coloured numnahs, body protectors, bandage tape etc. Best to try and stay neutral.

I started off at the front on the 2nd line and ended up at the back - the pace of the master was soooo fast. Thinking I'm gonna stay at the back on Sunday - go a bit slower lol. The website says there's a 2nd fieldmaster for novices but didn't see any sign of one at Tweseldown.

star

Visit site
i'm getting excited again already - it's such a buzz! i increased my insurance class permanently yesterday as have no intention of only going the once - can see this being a regular thing for us - much much fun!

surreyhorsechick

Visit site
Star - will look out for you! We too will 'try' and stay at the back - and I agree, not many people plaited up for Tweseldown and I too saw lots of coloured numnah's and boots etc on the horses. I'm afraid I will be wearing my body prot over the top of my jacket as don't think said jacket will do up othewise!!!!!!

Where are you travelling from as your location says Woking and we are in Horsell

Yes we got the 'buzz' just watching you guys! Can't wait to get out there on Sun....what's the likelihood of it being cancelled???

star

Visit site
i keep horse in Ash, so will be going down the A331 then along the A30 - no idea where it is so will have to hope I can find it ok - looks like a residential street halfway up the A30 from the map!

I shouldn't think it'll be cancelled as they dont meet until 12.30 and weather forecast is now saying rain tomorrow and it wont freeze sat night so should be fine.

hope my new brakes work!

Gucci_b

Visit site
i keep horse in Ash, so will be going down the A331 then along the A30 - no idea where it is so will have to hope I can find it ok - looks like a residential street halfway up the A30 from the map!

I shouldn't think it'll be cancelled as they dont meet until 12.30 and weather forecast is now saying rain tomorrow and it wont freeze sat night so should be fine.

hope my new brakes work!

Next Meet

Please check this website on the morning of the Meet in question as it will be updated by 9.00am with details of any changes.

This is particularly important due to the weather as all our Meets are held at the discretion of landowners and farmers.
Time:
12.30pm
Please see Mapquest for directions
Search for Kings Ride, Camberley then choose [1-3]

Directions
The road to the houses bends away to the left
Follow road down until get to a gap on the right into the forest with a metal forestry gate (open)
Follow the main track past the small turning on the right
Keep following the main track which bears to the right and eventually uphill
On reaching the top of the rise, parking is approx. 100 yards beyond

Details:
3 lines of optional timber fences
Ideal for a Novice but can get a bit quick
A second Fieldmaster will be available to guide Novices and first-timers
Parking on gravelled track/sandy verges
Restricted foot following
Please see vehicle organiser as soon as you arrive

Please note that every person who hunts with the SC Drag Hunt MUST read the Safety Code and complete the Declaration Form.

HORSES
All tack should be correctly fitting, in good repair and clean
Only plain BLACK or BROWN numnahs/browbands/bandages etc. should be worn
Manes should be PLATED (preferably), hogged or neatly pulled and brushed out
A novice horse should wear a green tail ribbon
A horse that is known to kick should wear a red tail ribbon and remain at the rear of the Field at all times

Sit_Up

Visit site
I loved jumping around Barossa, but it has been a good few years since I went. Two things to watch out for:
When you canter/gallop under a long strech under pylons...its long and straight and can get quite fast, but you don't need brakes until the end.

If you get half way through a line and find a queue on the left and a path on the right....dont go right its much bigger...thats why people are queing!!! (I realised 3 strides out we were not going to stop, so just kicked on and found out how big ony could jump when he wanted to).

Have fun...I really should think about hunting again

winterhorse

Visit site
I loved jumping around Barossa, but it has been a good few years since I went. Two things to watch out for:
When you canter/gallop under a long strech under pylons...its long and straight and can get quite fast, but you don't need brakes until the end.

Hi my OH is the new huntsman , so not 1 u have possibly been with. He has worked hard on changing the lines and also makes the hounds cast about and work harder to find the trail, hence the pace in the field should be slowed.
Also it is possible to go around all the jumps if so desired.

star

Visit site
i think it'll take more than a bit of rain for them to cancel. from the looks of pics it seems to be sandy ground which will take the rain fine. the website will be updated in the morning if it's cancelled.

winterhorse

Visit site
hi my o/h has been out fencing today and checking the lines for tommorow..
although wet the meet will go ahead as planned unless a severe frost tonight ...

the going is ok as stated it is mainly on sandy and bracken covered ground..

a few jumps that have alot of water around them have been omited from the day...

hope you can still all make it ...

oh and please be plaited it looks smarter !!!
ps .my o/h has asked for that.

star

Visit site
i cant plait - it's a welsh cob - it just doesn't have a plaitable mane plus he hates me fiddling with his mane and gets in a right strop - sorry. we will be there though.

Amy_08

Visit site
I'm coming. So excited as I missed Tweseldown which I was aiming for, so this will be my first time! Coming on my own so a bit apprehensive-more worried about getting lost on the way, than the hunt.

Star-How did it go on Weds?-I had to withdraw, as problems with the 4x4, but all sorted now, so see you tomorrow.

star

Visit site
will look out for you. i was scared stiff going to T/down on my own for my first ever hunt but it was fab and people were friendly. i've got a blue Toyota Surf and a silver IW505 Classic. What do you drive? Would be fab to meet up and have someone to yabber nervous babble to! I'll be sticking green electrical tape in Llewi's tail again and I doubt they'll be many other full clipped Welsh Cobs there so def say hi if you see us.

Wed was good - we progressed from retiring there 2 outings ago to coming 7th and 8th and even managed a 9 for our walk in the P7! Gobsmacked.