Road Nails In Front Shoes??? Safe?

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Is it safe for road nails to be put in the front shoes?

Does it cause strains or sprains on the legs with the jarring and stopping the leg natrually slipping forward?
confused.gif

nicky_jakey

Visit site
I have them for my horse in all 4 feet.
Essential in my opinion and far better than slipping on the road. The potential injuries from slipping / falling on the road don't bear thinking about...
frown.gif

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Thank you for replies. My farrier had previously told me that not safe to put them in fronts as it stops the leg slidding which can cause an accident and cause strain on fronts.

I wasn't there when he shod him this time and he has put them in all four shoes!!

I must admit he is so much better with them in but was worried they were doing untold damage!
shocked.gif

spike123

Visit site
I always used roadnails with my old horse.2 in each shoe all round and he had no problems at all.With my current horse he has road pins as due to the amount of work he does he needs more than the nails provide.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Its an anti slip not a dead stop, road studs on the otherhand are a different ball game.

They are not dangerous and ive not heard of any causing harm, infact they can help much prevent worse accidents.

SNORKEY

Visit site
I always have them in all 4 shoes as we have to hack up ans down steap roads, it would'nt stop him dead, just help give grip.

Peacelily

Visit site
Yup I've always worn them (road nails that is...)- farrier tended to put one in each of the shoes on the outside quarter, they were only tiddly but did the job with my Tb/clydesdale/arab lady, we never had any injuries which were related and kept all four feet even when they weren't going in the right order!
smile.gif