Road planings for turnout pen

Gerilew

Visit site
Thinking of turning unused old 20 x 40 arena into turnout pen for laminitic horse does anyone have rough idea of cost based northwest

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We did it on the cheap. Assume it’s already fenced and has some kind of drainage?
What kind of surface does it already have?
Road planings whilst free draining and ideal in some ways are a hard surface. I have used woodchip (don’t recommend) and now have some kind of surface we picked up second hand. It’s ideal as a laminitic area as it’s soft and supportive.

PurBee

Visit site
We have done a large hardcore area, but used a different type of small rubble mix than road planings.

We got a 14 ton truck load direct from quarry for about 120 per load. 8-10 loads roughly for arena area about 6 inch depth.

£300-400 per day for man with digger to spread it about level, and drive over it with digger to compress it.

Weve used both a 3.5 tonne digger and 8 tonne digger to lay lardcore areas and compress it, and both weight machines did it well, for horses to use straight after. Most ‘man and digger hire’ contractors have 3.5 tonne machines they tow to jobs. Would be cheaper than getting an 8 tonne digger on site.

But as poiuytrewq says above, if you want to maintain drainage and a soft surface - compressed hardcore isnt ideal.

I used ‘washed pea gravel’ in the past - great supportive hoof loafing surface, but a pain to clean of hay. Always raking it. And without regular deep raking of the entire depth, it eventually compressed to become (today) a hardcore layer like concrete! Horses come in from fields and drop mud on gravel, we have farm vehicles drive on it too for access, so over time…18 months it became a firm surface despite starting off as washed loose gravel.

If you have a quad bike and a rake attachment, that would be ideal if you used any kind of gravel to keep the surface loose.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The last lot of road planings we had delivered was 18 months or so ago. They’d really increased in price. They said councils are recycling roads rather than selling nowadays so they’re harder to get. Google Rowan Ashworth if you’re near Manchester- he often has them.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wish I knew what I have. It’s tiny coloured bits of I think plastic wire covering. It’s just brilliant. Very easy to poo pick. I feed hay off mats but it blows off easily

Gerilew

Visit site
We did it on the cheap. Assume it’s already fenced and has some kind of drainage?
What kind of surface does it already have?
Road planings whilst free draining and ideal in some ways are a hard surface. I have used woodchip (don’t recommend) and now have some kind of surface we picked up second hand. It’s ideal as a laminitic area as it’s soft and supportive.
It's rail and post fenced and has very old unused sand fibre surface that is now overgrown with moss and grass
Any suggestions for alternatives or the best surface to use

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It's rail and post fenced and has very old unused sand fibre surface that is now overgrown with moss and grass
Any suggestions for alternatives or the best surface to use
As above I’m not sure what mine is. I’d be inclined to spray off the grass if you can’t have any and use it as it is?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have road planings in mine. It has been down a year and I am relatively pleased with it. I was worried as it is mainly for Rigs, who is a barefoot, recovered lami horse. It has actually improved his feet to the point that he is the soundest he has ever been and his feet are truly rock crunching. I had always heard wistfully about rock-crunching feet, well, now we have them.

I have put rubber mats down where his hay is so we can sweep it daily. Last year, when we didn't have mats, it was tricky to clear the hay when it was wet. Mr Red also rolls it every week or so: when he does, it makes it easy to pick poo.

The contractor recommended wood chip, but I knew enough to reject that! I suspect he had some handy! He said it wouldn't work but I just thought that, if it didn't, I could put another membrane on top and put sand down. That would be my preferred option in many ways, but this was cheaper.