Robins vet visit

ponyparty

Visit site
So sorry to hear it's worse news than you were hoping for. He's getting the treatment he needs now though, and you've done absolutely the best by him, so no need to beat yourself up for that. Go easy on yourself - it's plain to see how much you love him and want to do right by him (and are!).

PurBee

Visit site
Sorry to hear about robin....Have you tried omega 3 supplement for the inflammation? Its a great anti-inflammatory and could lessen pain, alongside his steroid treatment.

PurBee

Visit site
MSM and chondroitin are also used for joint/tendon issues alongside omega 3 for anti-inflammatory. I havent dealt with joint issues personally but have read from others the lessening swelling and pain.
Maybe a search on here will show threads dealing with that specific issue which may enlighten.

It makes me think also that you say summer riding he was much better and it’s recently the issue is worse, coinciding with seasonal change from autumn to pretty cool, damp wintery-type weather.
Barometric pressure changes affect arthritic humans inflammation and pain levels, and hence the old advice to move to a ‘sunny warm climate’ during uk winter season.

Even tho’ the news isn’t what you were wanting, at least the xrays show the issues, and you know for sure whats going on so can move forward confidently to treat.

Reactions: SEL

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the bad news with Robin. However, there are a lot of possibilities here and many horses carry on with hock injections. By many possibilities I mean that there are different injections to try should the first type not work (but maybe it will!), as well as other feed adjustments to help alleviate inflammation and pain. So you have some things to try and I hope that he should be fine in light work. The last horse I rode with a decent amount of arthritis in the hocks was quite a happy hacker, just not going down hills, which he took very slow small steps. He was even ok to do some schooling as long as he had a 20 min walk before and after. So you just never know.

It sounds like you're quite good at listening to your horse though! He's lucky to have you. Best of luck moving forward.