Robust breeds

Cragrat

Visit site
I love the question - I do wish horses were bred for long term soundness - by that I mean breeding from parents who both worked hard in some form , amd remained sound, for a decent part of their lives. Some racehorses run a HUGE amount of races and remained sound - a good honest handicapper or NH horse. Hunters who season after season in decent country. Even show jumpers who plug around the circuit year after year. These horses might not be flashy, but they are hardworking, tough types, that really have some vaulable genes for the everyday amature, even if they are too 'boring' for the pro.

I have a homebred TB with a smidgeon of Clydesdale. His parents and grand parents were tough hardworkers, and he is now 20, still jumping, just showing a touch of arthritis, but still full of beans.

I don't think you can generalise into a breed. Look to what the parents do/did. Avoid anything bred exclusively for showing or for young horse classes of any kind.

And buy shares in four-leaf clovers :/

Horse2018

Visit site
I have known an Irish draught horse that was ridden into there 30s and was the escape artist even when he was old he was 40 when he died. Generally they say pony lives longer because they are size nature intended so genetically they are better build and stronger. I also have seen in a race horses were they are now? People riding super old ex racehorses 25+ manly hacking. Also a lot of American horses breed live till they are 40 and so does Arabs and connys

Maddie Moo

Visit site
From experience, a well managed (slim!) cob or cob cross type are quite robust as well as Native types. But I have ridden TB types who have been sound and out hacking in their late twenties.

doodle

Visit site
15.2 3/4 tb 1/4arab. Ridden till he was 30. Could have been ridden if I wasn’t such a fatty! Died at 38.

Hackback

Visit site
Arabs are coming out of this well, aren't they? I've known a few long distance Arabs myself who have gone on for decades.
They do have a reputation for longevity but I have a 17 year old that was diagnosed with Cushings at 9, so I don't think he'll make a ripe old age. Luck of the draw I suppose

ETA I should have bought more four leaved clover shares!

oldjumper

Visit site
Anything well managed, not too fat and with a huge dollop of luck! 14.2 tb ex polo then junior JA SJ for 6 years ridden daily til late 20s died sound in field at 32 and 15.3 TB jumper/all rounder died sound at 33. 11hh Childs pony (Welsh sec A) put down at 6 - cause unknown🤷‍♀️

Palindrome

Visit site
I think it's more of a type. I'd go for a not too heavy not too big no flashy movement riding horse type, could be thoroughbred, connemara, arab, trotter, mixed breed...
But even then it's probably down to luck.
I watched a video once with a pro rider and he said he likes his jumping horses not too supple as the suppler they are, the easier their tendons gets damaged, so I guess stiff as a plank to ride... :D

Zoeypxo

Visit site
My boss had an arab who was pts at 34 years old. He did endurance in his younger years and was a light hack up until around 28/29 when he fully retired.
There is a horse at my yard currently who is 27 and still in work, welsh d x tb, he has only ever seen a vet for vaccinations and teeth!

Orangehorse

Visit site
One friend's Arab was still doing endurance up to 23 and then died in the field at 26. Another friend has a Highland that is 27 and still being ridden regularly.

My Morgan is 24 and I will probably retire him completely when he reaches 25 - although he looked pretty good this morning when my daughter came to ride him in the field for about 20 minutes.

Morgans work to a good age usually.

Melody Grey

Visit site
What all-rounder breeding do people reckon is the most likely to get to 25 still hacking gently round the lanes?
Mine would be a good bet (Welsh X sports in profile pic)…. Assuming you both survive the ‘difficult years’….which for Monty was between about 5 and 14, so about now! 😇

Cloball

Visit site
I think it's more of a type. I'd go for a not too heavy not too big no flashy movement riding horse type, could be thoroughbred, connemara, arab, trotter, mixed breed...
But even then it's probably down to luck.
I watched a video once with a pro rider and he said he likes his jumping horses not too supple as the suppler they are, the easier their tendons gets damaged, so I guess stiff as a plank to ride... :D
I knew a show jumper who thought similarly, that going sideways was detrimental to jumping.

wills_91

Visit site
I had a 13.2 Welsh x Arab when I was 10. He was hard as nails and still pottered round PC flat work lessons with me when he was believed to have been in his early 30s. He was ridden right up until the day before he passed, never sick or sorry. He was a wonderful chap. When I think back to PC days it was all natives or heinze 57 types and none of the issues you see these days & all in far more work than most these days. If/when the time comes for us to get another I will be looking for a native or native x

GinaGeo

Visit site
My Connemara is 20 now and has been seriously tough.

My Welsh D x TB has been pretty tough too.

For longevity I’d choose something fairly small - no bigger than 15.2hh. A good dose of pony blood. Good, straight mover, but not extravagant. Nothing too flexible.

McFluff

Visit site
I know a number of WelshD and C hacking well into their 20’s. Still with spirit too!
my friend has just retired her fell at 25. Another has a fellx working at 26.
good dose of luck is required though.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My 16.1 Shire-TBx was sound until she was 27. I had to retire her from ridden work a couple months before she turned 28 and then put her down exactly a month after her 28th birthday. For a long time, it looked like she would make it to 30. But when age caught up, it caught up fast.