Rode my horse for the first time after breaking my back 3 yrs ago!!!

Laura6544

www.petportraitsbylauracooper.co.uk
Just wanted to tell someone horsey who may appreciate this (as my dad doesn't count cause he thinks my mare is a plod) I got on my horse for the first time in just over 3 yrs after she threw me and I broke my back!!! I have spent the past 6 months taking riding lessons on very safe horse then progressing to riding my friends mare to get my confidence whilst long reigning and lunging my mare in her tack to get her used to things again (she hadn't been ridden for 3 yrs) My very small friend who weighs 7 stone wet threw did 3 trial runs on her whilst my dad led her round and today I just bit the bullet and thought go for it. She was fine but I only walked for a couple of minutes then got off, I don't mind saying I had to stop myself from shedding a few tears, I've owned her for 16 yrs and started off being petrified on the quietest horse after my fall, I'm so happy, lets just hope she keeps all four feet on the ground this time!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Good on you
smile.gif
It's always good to get back, no matter how long it takes. Well done
smile.gif

Laura6544

Thanks everyone, I am very pleased with myself as well as her, with regards the hopes that shes grown up she was 17 when she threw me and is 20 now the old sod is regressing I think! I have no huge plans just want to aim for gentle hacks now shes in her senior years, couldn't bare the thought of anything happening to her when the last time I sat on her was such a horrible experience (3 yrs ago), also she loves being ridden and as long as this continues now and shes fit and healthy I think it will do her good to get some gentle excersize!

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Good for you, i cried my eyes out when i just saw Gem yesterday, for the first time since my op 2 weeks ago! Actually got on her today, wasnt planning to (with plaster cast!) and it was wonderful, no where near as big a comeback and achievement as yours, but i can imagine how it felt, so well done!

ISHmad

Visit site
Really happy for you. A huge well done, that was a massive moment and sounds like you handled it brilliantly.

Lillian

Visit site
Well done, good luck and I hope you don't have any more serious accidents like that. My husband (non-horsey, although he likes very small ponies "because of their size") just said when I read this story out, "You see, that's why I don't get on horses and I don't know why you do it!" - but he's a tease, and he HAS ridden my horse at a walk with me leading her once "just for the experience", which he described as "juddery" and "like staggering around drunk without having ingested any alcohol"... and yes, I did tell him cars are more dangerous...

We recently had another lovely story on the ABC here of a passionate rider who returned to riding after a dreadful accident where she got trapped under her car and suffered massive injuries. She is competing in paralympic type dressage events on a horse who himself had a terrible accident with a car.

And ten years ago, there was a girl I knew who fell off her horse halfway through Year 12, getting dragged along because her foot was caught in her stirrup. The horse stood on her face before she managed to get free, and she needed to have several crushed facial bones reconstructed. Less than four months later, she came top in the entire State in her the final examination of her Science subject. She became a veterinarian and she too got back in the saddle of the very same horse.

:)

ruscara

Visit site
That is brilliant, well done you!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I, too, broke my back in a riding accident and I fully appreciate the courage it has taken for you to get back on. I did as you have done, and gained my confidence back first on quiet school horses.
I wish you lots of luck and fun in the future
smile.gif

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
That's wonderful news and what a lift for your moral. I have had 2 big spinal ops in the past 20 months. Got back riding after the first op having lessons on a riding simulator (would def recommend) then progressed to a friends quiet mare before buying myself a quiet hack. Unfortunately a month after buying her I was told the first op had failed due to incorrect positioning of my metal pins so had to have all the metalwork taken out last July. As that op involved putting further metalwork onto my lower spine and fusing with bone graft I am still waiting for the ok to ride (hopefully 12 months post op) I like you will be nervous at getting back on and will have to take things slowly but just to be able to hack lightly will be fantastic. Hope you continue to have fun with your horse.

newboult51

Visit site
grin.gif
grin.gif
Well done
grin.gif
grin.gif

I too broke my back in a riding accident just over two years ago. I sold my horse 6 months later having decided that I'd lost my nerve and it was all too painful. However, we then bought a youngster for my daughter to move up onto from her pony. We ended up keeping the pony and I'm hacking the youngster out
grin.gif
grin.gif
. Its still scary at times, but it does get easier.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Omg, well done you, you should be so proud! Although just a quick stupid, idiotic question. To all the people who have broken their backs, IM CONFUSED, i thought (ignorently so obviously) that if someone breaks their back that tbh they are paralysed? Thats one of the things i fear most, breaking my neck/back, am i just really thick? Lol sorry i know how stupid this must sound, im just amazed that so many people on here have broken their backs and othr such horrific accidents yet are now back up and riding etc.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
With regards to a broken back I think people will have fractured a vertebra. As long as there is no damage to your spinal cord you won't be paralysed although nerve damage may cause a weakness in certain limbs depending on where the fracture was ie if lower spine in legs or upper spine in arms. Didn't Nick Skelton break his neck and look what he has achieved since?

Laura6544

Thanks everyone, I'm still on a high a day later! When I broke my back I couldn't walk/get up off the floor so had to have ambulance, I knew I had done something scary because of this. The hospital missed the fracture to start with but told me a few days later, I too panicked about nerve damage and had assumed that if you broke your back it meant a wheelchair but it's ok now if a little stiff and painful at times. I wasn't wearing a back protector but the scary thing is my doctor said it wouldn't have made any difference at all as my mare bucked me up out of the saddle and I landed in a sitting position on the floor of the indoor school which crushed the vertebra in my back.

moneypit1

Visit site
You will do it. You are stronger than you know and your bravery is worthy of acclaim. Remember why you want to get back on and then enjoy. You have taken the first step and that is always the hardest. Something drove you to where you are now so believe in yourself. xxxxxxx

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
How great to hear such good news. i posted on here a couple of months a go about riding my horse again after thinking i would never ride again. It is just the best feeling in the world isn't it, and yes, very emotional. Good for you, i am sure your girl will look after you.