Role of Physio

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I had a physio out to see my pony the other day. She has seen her once before. She told me the pony had hindgut ulcers. Is this within the remit of a physio as it sounds like a veterinary diagnosis to me? She also told me to medicate with herbal products...ideally letting the pony self select....

be positive

Visit site
I had a physio out to see my pony the other day. She has seen her once before. She told me the pony had hindgut ulcers. Is this within the remit of a physio as it sounds like a veterinary diagnosis to me? She also told me to medicate with herbal products...ideally letting the pony self select....

That certainly isn't something she can diagnose, she may be correct but I would want a vet to see the horse to confirm and only if there were symptoms that required looking into.

Auslander

Visit site
She has not only breached the code of practice of the organisation she is certified with - she's broken the law. Only vets are allowed to make (and communicate) a diagnosis. If she suspected that the horse may be suffering from ulcers, she should have mentioned it to the vet who approved the physio treatment.

Abi90

Visit site
She has not only breached the code of practice of the organisation she is certified with - she's broken the law. Only vets are allowed to make (and communicate) a diagnosis. If she suspected that the horse may be suffering from ulcers, she should have mentioned it to the vet who approved the physio treatment.

Are they only allowed to refer back to the vet? And not even suggest possible causes for issues? I suppose if they can’t diagnose as they can’t see inside then they shouldn’t be offering ideas.

SEL

Visit site
Are they only allowed to refer back to the vet? And not even suggest possible causes for issues? I suppose if they can’t diagnose as they can’t see inside then they shouldn’t be offering ideas.

Both the physio and bodyworker that I've used on mine would have said something along the lines of 'she's reacting to such and such pressure points, might be worth a chat with the vet about ulcers'.

wkiwi

Visit site
Actually qualified physio? Shocking.

This.
The physio should know that, as well as a diagnosis being illegal, horses do not self-medicate (hind gut fermentation means they cannot associate a 'cure' with a specific plant).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They can suggest what they may think is wrong but that's it they are not vets and if they suspect anything they should stop treatment and recommend a vet.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
She was quite pushy about recommending a particular company for a supplement. I tried to explain my suspicions about my pony having type 2 PSSM but she did not know what i was on about and told me not to exercise the pony even though she is not lame and when I explained she had tied up twice, got told about another client's horse which had apparently tied up randomly and then never again....the first time she came I found her helpful as she told me the pony was sore all over which would fit. I am so disappointed in the follow up :( She did call my vet before she came the first time but that was some time ago.

SOS

Visit site
I am sorry you have experienced this OP, I understand you have got someone out in good faith, and probably for good money. However this “physio” is working way beyond their limits.

Try searching for them on either the National Accosiation of Veterinary Physiotherapists (NAVP) site or ACPAT. They also have lists of qualified veterinary physiotherapists in your area.

Veterinary physiotherapists (including self employed, equine ones) should always work under guidance or recommendation of a veterinary surgeon. Only veterinary surgeons may diagnose. That said a physiotherapist may indicate areas of sensitivity, pain or weakness which is well within their capabilities but can not diagnose. In your case, as PP, a simple ‘There seems to be excessive sensitivity on the girth or flank area, perhaps get a vet to check.’

Gastric ulcers can only be diagnosed for certain by endoscopy. Homeopathic treatments or even over the counter medications are not seen to be effective, as far as I am aware.

I think you have done a great job in getting a veterinary physiotherapists out rather than a ‘back person’. Please check whether this physio was registered, if not, which I suspect, please do not use them again as they are an unqualified person manipulating your animal. If you are concerned about your horse still, contact your vet, even if just over the phone to relay the physics comments or find another physio, perhaps recommended by the vets and on the register/s. If they are on the physio you used is on a register, please report them. They are damaging an industry in which most are trying to earn a professional status.

Unfortunately I don’t think (feel free to prove me wrong) the profession ‘veterinary physiotherapist’ is protected so anyone can claim it as their job title.

Hope the horse feels better soon and you find someone honest!

Last edited:

Flicker

Visit site
I am sorry you have experienced this OP, I understand you have got someone out in good faith, and probably for good money. However this “physio” is working way beyond their limits.

Try searching for them on either the National Accosiation of Veterinary Physiotherapists (NAVP) site or ACPAT. They also have lists of qualified veterinary physiotherapists in your area.

Veterinary physiotherapists (including self employed, equine ones) should always work under guidance or recommendation of a veterinary surgeon. Only veterinary surgeons may diagnose. That said a physiotherapist may indicate areas of sensitivity, pain or weakness which is well within their capabilities but can not diagnose. In your case, as PP, a simple ‘There seems to be excessive sensitivity on the girth or flank area, perhaps get a vet to check.’

Gastric ulcers can only be diagnosed for certain by endoscopy. Homeopathic treatments or even over the counter medications are not seen to be effective, as far as I am aware.

I think you have done a great job in getting a veterinary physiotherapists out rather than a ‘back person’. Please check whether this physio was registered, if not, which I suspect, please do not use them again as they are an unqualified person manipulating your animal. If you are concerned about your horse still, contact your vet, even if just over the phone to relay the physics comments or find another physio, perhaps recommended by the vets and on the register/s. If they are on the physio you used is on a register, please report them. They are damaging an industry in which most are trying to earn a professional status.

Unfortunately I don’t think (feel free to prove me wrong) the profession ‘veterinary physiotherapist’ is protected so anyone can claim it as their job title.

Hope the horse feels better soon and you find someone honest!

This 100%

ozpoz

Visit site
Both the physio and bodyworker that I've used on mine would have said something along the lines of 'she's reacting to such and such pressure points, might be worth a chat with the vet about ulcers'.

Yes, there are pressure points where a horse will give a positive reaction which would suggest ulcers. But your physic should not diagnose, only point out a reaction. Is she registered?