Rolled/crushed barley … anyone use it anymore?

hock

Visit site
As above really. I have a farmer friend who’s struggling and I was wondering if there’s a market for barley direct to horse owners?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I used it in all my lighter horses to get good weight on until I got Kia who was cereal intolerant.

I used to mix it with beet pulp and oil in a big trug and leave it as an ad-lib in the stable for horses needing a bit more weight in winter. Was a staple for me I will admit. I don’t think the wee guy will use it as he’s a good doer by breed but I was a straights feeder years ago.

I know it’s not helpful to a barefoot diet now so chances are I wouldn’t return to feeding it but it used to work out cheaper to buy a massive bag of barley and beet pellets and soak them together then add the corn oil before serving. Did wonders for any horse I fed it too and didn’t blow their minds.

hock

Visit site
Thank you CC I’ve started feeding this year and the horses are looking fantastic and haven’t gone sharp. I’m paying about £4 a bag max and it’s really surprised me that the cost is so good but it’s also doing the job. Interesting too you fed it ab lib, my horses would love to come and live with you (all mine are mostly chunky chunks).

Auslander

Visit site
I use flaked barley in winter for my old ones. It's pretty cheap (about £8 a bag) and effective.
I tend to chuck a handful in everyone's feeds, as I don't poo pick in winter, and the birds spread the poo better if there's barley or linseed in it!

sport horse

Visit site
Im pretty old! In my younger days there were no nuts, mixes etc. We fed crushed oats, crushed barley, chaff chopped with a big hand operated machine. In the winter we boiled linseed and whole barley. The horses were all fine and looked really well and I guess our feed bills were probably half the cost of todays processed feeds even taking into account change in values.
Sugar beet pulp came along about the same time as horse & pony cubes. Later mixes and mases of science. Only trouble most people now have forgotten, or never been shown how to use that old tool so beloved of horsemen - their own eyes. Perhaps if they did we would not have so many obese horses and ponies.

Cragrat

Visit site
i have used flaked barley, but my middleaged TB did really well last year on boiled barley - a bit of a faff, but I use an old slow cooker in the feed room. The barley cost £5.50/20kg last year.

TGM

Visit site
I've fed it in the past but it wouldn't suit any of the horses I currently have. I think a lot of people prefer barley to be micronised as it is meant to be more digestible like that (unless they are prepared to boil it).

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I've feed boiled barely to the hunters I've worked with for the past 7 years.
First yard we had a proper big barely boiler in the tackroom.
The other yards we just used a large slow cooker.
Never had a problem with any of them on it and they looked fantastic.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
As above really. I have a farmer friend who’s struggling and I was wondering if there’s a market for barley direct to horse owners?
This summer I stayed on a sheep farm that supplies milk for making Roquefort cheese. Twice a day the ewes came in for a feed of barley but I don't know if it was rolled or flaked.

So there's another possible customer base.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think it's fine if it's been cooked (boiled, micronized) but not great for the digestion otherwise. I wouldn't buy raw barley, sorry.

angel7

Visit site
I'm surprised at this, the price of wheat and barley is rising and bread prices are the highest they've ever been.
Demand is strong due to poor harvests elsewhere and increased import costs.
Has he approached the large feed producers HARBRO and the likes?

silv

Visit site
This winter I fed barley, mixed with sugarbeet, chaff and a decent mineral mix, both horses looked and performed extremely well on it. I feed it rolled. Was previously spending a fortune on mixes and decided to simplify things, too worked a treat.

McGrools

Visit site
I've feed boiled barely to the hunters I've worked with for the past 7 years.
First yard we had a proper big barely boiler in the tackroom.
The other yards we just used a large slow cooker.
Never had a problem with any of them on it and they looked fantastic.

I have fond memories of the smell of boiled barley on the hunting yard when i was a child. I want to revisit that memory. And i’m sure the horses would love it. Is there a specific type of barley thats best for boiling? Xx

teddy_

Visit site
I used to feed flaked barley to mine until I realised that it is incredibly high in protein so can exacerbate stocking up in winter months.