Rolling after eating

haras

Visit site
My mare does love to worry me.

For the last few days she's rolled straight after being fed. Just a normal roll, no pawing, no belly watching, kicking or anything. Shes out 24/7 on minimal grass as she is fat and just gets a handful of happy hoof once a day with supplements in, watered down.

Any other horse and this wouldn't concern me, but my mare had colic surgery with re-section 2 years ago, after swallowing some wire, hence my worry.

I have spoken to the vet, who is confused too. We are going to try her on soaked high fibre cubes again just to see if she does it then, as this is what she had when she had first had her surgery. The vet did mention adhesions, but it doesn't make sense that she is only doing it as soon as she has finished eating, just rolling once and then grazing again. The food should still be in her stomach, not her gut at this point. It is literally 1 minute after eating her tea.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas?

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
I had a welsh pony who did this every night for the three years I had her. Like yours she only had a small cup of feed and I assumed she was just happy with life as she was never ill. I guess if your pony is not showing any signs of illness then it is probably nothing to worry about.

haras

Visit site
Thanks. I did wonder if she's doing it just because she wants to and she can, but with her history it is concerning me!

sophiebailey

Visit site
How weird, my boy had colic 3 weeks ago and I've noticed him do exactly the same thing twice since then. No idea why as afterwards he's totally fine!!! Worrying me too though!

haras

Visit site
Thanks. Hopefully I'm just worrying too much. I think I take more notice of what she does because of her history, I'd probably not have even noticed if it was one of my others.