rolling pony

JadeWisc

Visit site
We are in the process of training our little Shetland charlie. I have my 5 year old work with me in our training efforts. Our problem we are having is that he has a habit of trying to roll while he is saddled and when she is on his back. Any method anyone knows of to stop this because daughter is worried she will be flattened soon.
smirk.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
A good schooling whip should to the trick.....lol
I'm presuming pony only does this with kid on it's back? try getting a small adult to ride it for a bit and ensure it doesnt roll. it will soon get the message.
grin.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
ermm? any thing to do with saddle , back maybe teeth? What ground is it on? i find as soon as i dismount (lucky shes got the mannors to wait) my pony plops her self on to the floor for a good roll with her saddle on!! I think they just like the ground as i know in a lush grassy field it be a different matter!!

JadeWisc

Visit site
happens saddled or bareback , so not that, wolfe teeth have been removed this winter ,so not that.Usually happens in the smaller pen that has little grass and mostly dusty dirt (actually he loves to roll in the dust best, so maybe that? lol I am lead by observation to think it an attemt to dismount the giant horsefly on his back and rest
wink.gif

Vey

Visit site
My daughter's pony used to try and roll on the beach - loved the sand to roll in. It just take time for them to learnthis is on the long list of things a pony can do alone but not with a rider. Making sure he has had a chance to roll in dust before the lesson helps, otherwise it is lookign for the buckling legs, asying no, and riding/leading on!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I would guess about 9 1/2 stone. Depends how much bone he has. I'm 9 1/2 (on a good day) and plan on riding my 11.2 hh sec A x for schooling purposes.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
yes 13.
Remember what these natives were bred for...carrying men and heavy ladens. Some of the bigger ponies carry up to 15 stone.
As long as it's back's okay and it's teeth (and you're sure everything elses fine ie it doesnt have sweetitch) I would get on it and see if I could sort it. Shetlands do have a reputation for being little sods, lol, so it might just be needing to be reminded who's boss.

mandy4727

Visit site
There are 14lbs in a stone. Think 9.5 stone might be just a bit for a shettie. But then again that is what they are bred for in their natural habitat they would carry grown men. Try it and see, sure pony will let you know one way or another!!!!

JadeWisc

Visit site
wow....I had no idea he could carry that much. I am amzed. I knew they could pull alot but you have given me a whole knew idea!!!!!!!! hehehehehehehe! I'd like to see him flatten me! lol well....I'll actually need to lose 10 lbs first so its his lucky day

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
people don't give these ponies much credit. As long as it's a proper shetland, and has good bone I can't see the problem.
I was bobbing it at riding a 13.2, thinking I'd be too heavy, but have backed a 12.2, and just got an 11.2 for me to break in.
If you're too heavy you'll know...
tongue.gif

parsley

Visit site
14 lbs to a stone!

My son's pony will occasionally try to roll - look out for the signs - pawing, circling etc - when you see them - say NO! lead on firmly - trot if necessary and keep his head up.

iwtownsley

Visit site
while riding him put grass reins on him very short so he doesnt put his heaqd down!!! wehen they put their head down it means they sniffing for somewhere to roll so if u stop him from doing that then it wont roll!!!! ad give it a good smack!