Roof extensions

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
Hi all,

We’re looking at buying a plot of land that has pre existing stables, only problem is stables are 11”2 x 11’6

East enough to extend width but has anyone extended forward or back? Concerned about how your manage the roof?

They are fairly nice stables, j don’t think they’ve actually been used

Attachments

• IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 68

Parrotperson

Visit site
How big are you horses? Those stables aren’t far off 12 x 12. And for years we kept horses in whatever space we had whether larger stables or smaller ones. Those would be fine fir a 16hh horse but not for a 18hh horse. And even that’s a generalisation since some 15.2hh l’s will be very wide whilst others won’t. (Before you all jump on me this is a generalisation!)

so more details please!

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
How big are you horses? Those stables aren’t far off 12 x 12. And for years we kept horses in whatever space we had whether larger stables or smaller ones. Those would be fine fir a 16hh horse but not for a 18hh horse. And even that’s a generalisation since some 15.2hh l’s will be very wide whilst others won’t. (Before you all jump on me this is a generalisation!)

so more details please!
Heya,

Yes I would totally agree, I would be happy to keep a pony in them however both my horses are 17hh /17.1hh so unfortunately would not be suitable :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all,

We’re looking at buying a plot of land that has pre existing stables, only problem is stables are 11”2 x 11’6

East enough to extend width but has anyone extended forward or back? Concerned about how your manage the roof?

They are fairly nice stables, j don’t think they’ve actually been used
nice stable block and nice find well done. next door has 17.hh horses in 12 x 12 in the old days they were normal size stables

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
Could you move the front and doors to the edge of the overhang and fill in the sides? The overhang isn't strictly necessary and you can always put a lid over the door, plenty of kits available for that. I think that would give you close to 14x 11+ ?
Yes I was thinking about bringing them out more, would be a shame to lose the over hang as provides more protection for everyone in the summer and winter.
Not heard of a lid over the door? X

YourValentine

Visit site
To make them wider (front or back) by extending the roof you'd need to change the whole roof angle or end up with a very low roof.

If you can make them wider left to right, that might be easier? So you end up with rectangular stables 11" deep by X wide. You child put in an extra window or clear roof panel so the 'back' isn't too dark if that's a concern?

They look like a lovely block.

YourValentine

Visit site
To make them wider (front or back) by extending the roof you'd need to change the whole roof angle or end up with a very low roof.

If you can make them wider left to right, that might be easier? So you end up with rectangular stables 11" deep by X wide. You child put in an extra window or clear roof panel so the 'back' isn't too dark if that's a concern?

They look like a lovely block.
You can change roof angles, but will be the expensive option and might invoke planning complications depending on what was approved.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes I was thinking about bringing them out more, would be a shame to lose the over hang as provides more protection for everyone in the summer and winter.
Not heard of a lid over the door? X

There are lots of kits that are sold to stop people getting wet while they're standing outside a front or back door. One over each door would allow the horses to put their heads out and not get wet. I didn't have any overhangs on my stables and brick/stone stables generally don't. I never found it an issue.

lizziebell

Visit site
For more information, there is 11 acres of grazing and my daughter will eventually get a pony and I would like another in the future so we ideally want to keep as many stables as possible! X
I think as already suggested - knock 2 stables into one. Then if you want more horses in the future look at adding another stable block row. It would probably be cheaper and easier than trying to do a major rejig of the existing stables.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'd firstly measure the stables myself to check the agent's measurements. Then if they are too small, look to bring the front elevation forwards. This would mean you are incorporating the overhang into the stable, so for protection, install a porch/overhang type of thing over each stable door.

w1bbler

Visit site
Looks like you've got a large corner tack room/ hay store. Take the walls down of the stables either side of that & make 2 larger stables. You then have a stable for daughters pony & one to use as a tack room.
You can always put up a shed as a tack room if you need the 4th stable &/or field shelter to store hay & bedding