RoR showing advice

MummyEms

Visit site
hello! I've had my current ex racehorse who is now 9 years old for a couple of years and she's been nothing but lovely. We've dabbled in unaffiliated dressage unaff show jumping and lots of arena hires and xc schooling. However I have just entered us for a couple of ror showing classes. One ridden one inhand... I have either a snaffle or a pelham (she loves hackamore best for jumping)... my first question is if we use the pelham do I have to have two reins or is one OK? Also is it preferable to use a pelham or a snaffle?
Also any other tips at all in any way shape or form would be so greatly appreciated. I'm nearly 40 years old and haven't done any showing since I was about 11 haha.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If you show in a Pelham it needs to be with 2 reins if your not used to riding with 2 and won't have time to get used to it stick with the snaffle.

It might be worth having some lessons with someone to help you ride with 2 reins so you can use the Pelham in future ?

It's a good idea to Google some professional photos from some ROR shows to get an idea of how to turn your horse out and what to wear if you haven't done any before.

Good luck and have fun ?

MummyEms

Visit site
Thanks so much ?
I'll stick to her ns snaffle probably then.
Oooh also, I heard dummy spurs look better than no spurs at all. She definitely doesn't need spurs so where can I buy a pair of dummy spurs?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I do a bit of ROR showing and the judges have mostly said they prefer to see them in a snaffle, this is at local level. I've never worn spurs and have won plenty!! Good luck and enjoy!!

Visit site
Stick to the snaffle and if you enjoy the showing then get some lessons and progress onto the pelham/double.

Very, very few people wear spurs in RoR classes so don't worry about them. You don't need them.

Most tb's fit into the Riding Horse build so a nice coloured ribbon browband for the horse and a tweed jacket for you. If you have a numnah make sure it is the same colour as your saddle and as close fitting as possible.

This is how I turned my lad out, he was 17hh. I never pulled his tail to the full extent but I did always neaten the top 6in or so to give it a more refined look at the top.

Screenshot_20220812-153317_Facebook.jpg

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
The judges comment on my boys tail. It's too long!! I refuse to cur it to the correct length, I mainly do dressage so I want it long. It's always commented on but he goes so well It's generally over looked!! Plait with cotton, most judges have checked my boy.

fetlock

Visit site
Stick to the snaffle and if you enjoy the showing then get some lessons and progress onto the pelham/double.

Very, very few people wear spurs in RoR classes so don't worry about them. You don't need them.

Most tb's fit into the Riding Horse build so a nice coloured ribbon browband for the horse and a tweed jacket for you. If you have a numnah make sure it is the same colour as your saddle and as close fitting as possible.

This is how I turned my lad out, he was 17hh. I never pulled his tail to the full extent but I did always neaten the top 6in or so to give it a more refined look at the top.

View attachment 97575

that length of rein ?

humblepie

Visit site
Little things can just tidy up the picture even if you don’t have the right equipment. I hate seeing martingale stops left on reins. Find a piece of dark elastic or at a push a thin shoelace for your number not the plastic string they give you with the number. And enjoy is always the main thing. Is it an RoR affiliated class or an ex racehorse class at a local show?

MummyEms

Visit site
It's an RoR tattersalls qualifier. I've thrown us in at the deep end but it's very local to me at Palace House in Newmarket.
One ridden class and one in hand. For the in hand can i just use the same bridle as I ride her in for the ridden class?Screenshot_20220811-130935_Chrome.jpg

MummyEms

Visit site

View attachment 97575
So stunning ?

humblepie

Visit site
Judge will ride so make sure stirrups and leathers are long enough/ go short enough for different sized people. Who is ride judge.

MummyEms

Visit site
I've been chatting with the East ror lady who is running it who tells me it is a very gentle kind man... how do you know the name? Xx

humblepie

Visit site
They normally put the name in the schedule. I can’t see the screenshot of the schedule but if Tatts open qualifier judge rides. If an amateur qualifier then individual show. Use your riding reins for in hand.

humblepie

Visit site
The judges are normally quite sympathetic so enjoy. If she gets upset on the go round, you can always retire.Yes they ride in the novice as well.

MummyEms

Visit site
Would you say the novice or the amateur is best for first timers. I've just checked the schedule and at this show the judge only rides in the amateur class not the novice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220812-181720_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-181720_Chrome.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220812-181731_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-181731_Chrome.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 9

humblepie

Visit site
It should be the novice with the ride judge not the amateur class. Jody Sole is very experienced jockey, event rider, show rider, re-trainer so in good hands. Check with the organiser and then decide.

MummyEms

Visit site
It should be the novice with the ride judge not the amateur class. Jody Sole is very experienced jockey, event rider, show rider, re-trainer so in good hands. Check with the organiser and then decide.
Sorry yes meant to say the judge rides in the novice and not in the amateur

Visit site
Do we have to let the judge ride ? ?? wish they wouldn't... shes a real sensitive one to one mare

You can decline the ride judge and request to do your own show for your horses education BUT you will be placed last regardless for it. Don't forget racehorses have been used to different riders when being a racehorse. So whilst you may have been the only one to ride her since you have had her she will have previously been used to different people and different ways of riding.

MummyEms

Visit site
You can decline the ride judge and request to do your own show for your horses education BUT you will be placed last regardless for it. Don't forget racehorses have been used to different riders when being a racehorse. So whilst you may have been the only one to ride her since you have had her she will have previously been used to different people and different ways of riding.

Ha ha thanks for the reminder. Hopefully he will love her like we do!!