Rosehips

happyclappy

Visit site
Sorry, I did a search and found nothing relevant,although I imagine it has been done many times before.

With the masses of Rosehips around, and knowing they are supposedly good, I picked a bag and have been feeding a handful to my lot daily. My four year old has been lame for six months now (getting second opinion next week) She had an xray of her fetlock, with no signs of arthritis, which was suspected. Vet refused to do the scan he came out to do. Long story...

However, since she has been eating Rosehips, she has been sound as a bell. My farrier and I think she has a stifle problem. Do you think the Rosehips may be helping her, or just coincidence. I am going to pick a few bagfuls now, just in case, but am happy to buy a Rosehip Supplement when I run out of them.

Shame I am too lazy to dry them and have no room to freeze them. I do like free stuff!

Thoughts?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We used to have an elderly cob who picked her own rosehips and ate them whole. She was always a very selective feeder, refusing to eat anything with garlic in it, amongst other things. We always trusted her to know what she was doing. It is possible to buy rosehips as a supplement although it is an expensive way of doing it. You can make rosehip syrup, I remember being given that as a child, it was high in Vitamin C.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We used to have an elderly cob who picked her own rosehips and ate them whole. She was always a very selective feeder, refusing to eat anything with garlic in it, amongst other things. We always trusted her to know what she was doing. It is possible to buy rosehips as a supplement although it is an expensive way of doing it. You can make rosehip syrup, I remember being given that as a child, it was high in Vitamin C.

Foxy O

Visit site
I know if a dog eats whole rosehips it's supposed to be a good natural wormer, something to do with the itchy seeds. I think I will pick some for mine this week :)

happyclappy

Visit site
Whole. I picked bags of them one year and found I had to apparently remove the seeds. I did. What a chore. I swore never again. Then I read, I am sure on here recently, that they can eat the seeds, and they do.

Has anybody else found they seem to help elderly horses with arthritis at all? Or that they help with worm counts!!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I fed my cob whole dried rosehips after the winter to boost his immune system and to help his respiratory problems and arthritis. He got a few everyday as a treat and thoroughly enjoyed them. He improved massively although I can't say it was specifically down to the Rosehips or not.
Currrently, he has linseed lozenges but when he gets bored with that, we'll rotate with another natural herb or plant.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I pick them to feed to mine and they don't eat them all the time - only when they want to. I have recently bought OH a supposedly "wonder" supplement based on rosehips to ease his creaky joints.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've heard that some doctor somewhere recommends them for human arthritis and back pain so don't see why they can't work similarly for horses.

They make lovely wine! a really gorgeous colour, rich and warm: that's the way I'll be taking my "medication" this winter, curled up beside the fire :)

But do be aware folks that if you're picking them to wear gloves as they can really make your hands itch like fury, big-time!!

Crumpet

Visit site
You can freeze rosehips though they go soggy when defrosted, it's easy to dry them on baking trays in an oven on it's lowest setting. It takes a few hours, they're done when hard and wrinkly, then store dry and airtight. You can food process them if you want the chopped expensive shop type version, which has seeds, hairs the lot in anyway. You can use any sort of rosehip including garden types, just be careful if you've sprayed recently. I freeze them and t'other half makes wine when he feels the urge!

pip6

Visit site
We've used a combination of rosehips, cider apple vinegar & green lipped mussels for years. No sign of arthritis in any of our horses, including to 26yr old ex-racer tb who is still in full work. All endurance horses btw so put in plenty of miles over the years.