Rosette making business- advice please!

twinmommy

New User
Visit site
I have previously posted a days ago about the idea of becoming self employed.

I am a new mum to 7 week old twins boys and although it's early days I am worried about the idea of returning to work. The financial impact of childcare for 2 may mean that it's just not worth me going back!

I have been researching the idea of rosette making. It sounds like an enjoyable hobby, something I can do at home without the overheads of renting a premises and should be flexible around childcare. Naturally, I would like to target the equine industry and source and supply to my local area.

Could anyone in the trade offer any advice? Would be greatly appreciated :)

putasocinit

Visit site
Congratulations on your twins, i dont want to burst your bubble but i would have thought that was a business which was already built up and the supply and demand would be much quicker that you could manufacte, does that all make sense.

I recall being at a large competition equestrian yard where they were handing out rosettes willy nilly and when i commented on it they said they had boxes of 100 of each place and would never use them up if they only handed out when deserved.

twinmommy

New User
Visit site
Congratulations on your twins, i dont want to burst your bubble but i would have thought that was a business which was already built up and the supply and demand would be much quicker that you could manufacte, does that all make sense.

I recall being at a large competition equestrian yard where they were handing out rosettes willy nilly and when i commented on it they said they had boxes of 100 of each place and would never use them up if they only handed out when deserved.

There are 3 major companies which I have found in my research online and you are correct in saying that this area of the industry is catered for. However, I am a big believer in supporting your local area i.e buy locally/supply locally in a bid to keep independent business alive and instill moral. That's something I hope I would be able to achieve if I was able to build a cluster of loyal contacts.

I do not aspire to be the worlds no 1 Rosette supplier ( although that would be lovely) but maybe start small and see where we go!

abracadabra

Visit site
I have a friend that's doing this. She started up not long ago, in a small way, and it's cost her an absolute fortune to set up even for that. I think it's going to take her the longest time just to come into profit.

joulsey

Visit site
I would imagine your main customers would be equestrian centres/riding clubs etc. I think you will find it hard to be able to compete with the companies they are already using and have probabaly used for years. There is a rosette making company in my town, and when looking back at some rosettes from year and years ago, from various places, locally and nationally they were all made my this place. They have a big factory and premises and have been going for years. I think the only way to compete with them is to undercut the other companies, but then for the amount of profit you would be make, I don’t think you would have a business.

If you really want to give it a shot it might be worth going down the novelty rosette route, maybe selling on ebay. Like hen party/birthdays/celebration/schools etc and see how you get on.

twinmommy

New User
Visit site
I would imagine your main customers would be equestrian centres/riding clubs etc. I think you will find it hard to be able to compete with the companies they are already using and have probabaly used for years. There is a rosette making company in my town, and when looking back at some rosettes from year and years ago, from various places, locally and nationally they were all made my this place. They have a big factory and premises and have been going for years. I think the only way to compete with them is to undercut the other companies, but then for the amount of profit you would be make, I don’t think you would have a business.

If you really want to give it a shot it might be worth going down the novelty rosette route, maybe selling on ebay. Like hen party/birthdays/celebration/schools etc and see how you get on.

Thanks joulsey, I understand it would be foolish to concentrate just in the equine industry, although obviously this is my passion and your right in saying novelty rossettes may be a good starting point.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Please continue, I'm taking it all in!!

undergroundoli

Visit site
I think the only way to compete with them is to undercut the other companies, but then for the amount of profit you would be make, I don’t think you would have a business.

I disagree, I don't think you could under cut, so you'll need to find a USP other than price. Custom orders, whipping up rosettes for fun rides and informal events with pics of the participants on, that kind of thing. What can you offer that other people don't?

Enjoy the littles.

Voxhorse

Visit site
HI OP, I would say start by making a selection from all genres ie Birthdays etc and putting them on Ebay. If you can get creative and have an edge with some snazzy designs that give you an edge. There is a Company that sell starter kits but I forget their name, I saw the ad in a horse mag. You need to offer something others are not, get researching :D what about say a Friday market, that kind of thing.

Good luck! congrats on the wee ones btw x

Dubsie

Visit site
A friend of mine runs a rosette business from home, sometimes I help when I pop in for a chat, and I can honestly say it is boring drudgery and for the money.....nope I'd not choose it as a job. Just sewing round and round in circles (and I used to do dressmaking) is tedious to say the least, drives me round in circles too! You'll also need equipment, the established firms have industrial quality sewing machines, automatic ribbon pleaters, and foil block printers for printing the ribbon and the centres, you need plates made up for each centre, with the show title and placings. You could also do with an automatic tail cutter (I happen to know they're about £5K ) and that IS a deadly job cutting fishtails....not sure I could do it with twins running about my feet. However wielding the glue gun is a lot more satisfactory, likewise pushing the hooks through the holes in the backing plate is sufficiently mind numbing you can chat away, but is also something you can do in your sleep!

The problem here is that rosettes are cheap items, you have to make thousands to make money on your investment on equipment, aside from which an awful lot of the business is last minute and last minute changes to detail depending on who has sponsored which class etc. means colours of rosettes change/aren't decided, and is very very labour intensive. However if you enjoy a repetitive job and have the funds to invest I'm not saying it couldn't work....but frankly not for me and not with 2 kids under my feet.

lhotse

Visit site
My mum used to make rosettes, not for horse shows but for cavy and rabbit shows. Ribbons came from market stalls as that was the cheapest place to buy, and the championship rosettes were masterpieces. I would say that the horse world would already have their sources sorted but try to get some contacts in the small furries world and you might just get a good business going. Mum used to make them for shows all over the SW of England. All were sewn by hand.

Arniebear

Visit site
We just sold our rosette business, it took a good 7k+ to start off, buying a pleating machine and a foiler and then getting a stock of ribbons in a various other bits and pieces. We managed to get the business of our local pc, and a few other local affiliated and unaffiliated centres, dogs shows aswell. Its as boring as hell to make them! And they sell for like £1.10 so its takes a while to make a profit, my mum thoroughly enjoyed it thou! We only sold it due to her not having enough time after her full time job to do it! Best of luck if you do go ahead :)

bexcy-bee

Visit site
My mum used to be a riding instructor, and had a few horses who she used to teach on from home. Every year, for the handful of people she used to teach, we held a 'Halloween' show for. This involved dressing up the fences with pumpkins etc.

We struggles for ages and ages to find Halloween rosettes, and had to get them specially made.

I would strongly suggest going down this type of route, lots of big show places hold Easter, Christmas etc shows, so I think this could be your USP! I might be able to dig out some of the Halloween ones and get a picture if you want to see them?

Bexcy-bee x

minesadouble

Visit site
A good friend of mine bought a rosette making business last year. She must be doing OK out of it as she is going to go part time as the business has taken off so well.
She does have a lot of good contacts though, she is on our area BSPS committee and they now get their rosettes from her, her mum does a lot of judging and has helped 'push' her rosettes so that she now supplies most local shows and also does dog show rosettes.
She quite enjoys it. It does take up a lot of room though. Her extension is full of ribbon etc.
Good luck