ROST shoes, anyone tried this?

MrsNorris

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? (Reimer open shoe technique). Basically a glue-on open-toed metal shoe, so two separate branches glued on. Seems to still be in the fairly early stages of development, not much info online, but an interesting concept as a short term measure to help restore the palmar hoof. Hoof mechanism isn’t impaired, heels can spread etc, toe callus and sole not trimmed during the application process.

I ask because I have a barefoot horse who has developed very underrun hinds (long story, related to his many other health problems, don’t ask!). We’ve been trying to restore his heels without much success for a while now, he’s tender behind because his heel bulbs have been pulled down and under along with his underrun heels and he’s almost walking on them, fine on soft footing, not on hard ground. He is currently booted behind for hacking, bare in the school.

Be very interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on this and if anyone has tried it..

Last edited:

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Please do share your story as I’m about to pull shoes on my horse who has very underrun hinds and is a suspected pssm sufferer too so I’d be really interested to hear your story...