Rottie with a runny tummy - any ideas??

zoegolding

Visit site
We have a rottweiller bitch who has had a runny tummy for about a week. She is totally well in herself - in fact she is absolutely bouncing and is showing no signs of feeling unwell. We starved her for 24 hours which made no difference, we wormed her and we have changed her diet to chicken & rice for a few days but nothing seems to have made much difference. We will take her to the vet in the next day or so if nothing improves but I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has any ideas? She is 6 1/2 yrs old, is a good weight and always eats well. She is not losing any weight or condition from this at the moment.

Any ideas???
confused.gif

zoegolding

Visit site
Forgot to mention she is just getting over a phantom pregnancy - didn't think this would have anything to do with it but was worth mentioning!

im not 100% sure on this so dont take it as gospel but i seem to remember something about mixing charcoal and water to make a sort of charcoal mix to help with the runs.

might be worth just asking the vet though but i do remember someone i know using this method.

skewbald_one

Visit site
I to have a rottie that has suffered a phantom preg. I had never experienced one before it really messed her about.
I would with any runny tummy stop ALL food for 48 hour and make sure she is not stealing anything. just make sure she has assess to fresh water, when you introduce food do it in 1/4 reasons to start and keep to plain food.
If you don't think she is improving I would then see a vet. Hope she is better soon,

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I had a Doberman with similar problems - I had to starve her for 2 days, then introduce a tiny bit of chicken and rice, but sometimes if this didnt work, the vet had to give her something to settle her gut down.
I think you may need a trip to the vet.

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Mashed potato can be better than rice - but both are ok - so I just give plain boiled chicken with plain mash for a few days. Also I add in some raw porridge oats (helps to bind it up) and give some bio yoghurt for the gut flora.

Always works really well
smile.gif

If not - think you may need to go to the vet - if you can, take a sample with you?

Blythebeck

freewebs.com
Its best to starve for 24 hours then feed her small amounts of her normal food. Don't change diet when they have the runs. she could of eaten something that didn't agree with her. I gave my dog one of those baked pigs trotters and it gave him the runs for several days. I reduced his food and stopped all other foods or titbits and he is back to normal. If he is straining and straining with nothing coming out, take him to the vets as it could be giardia, which is picked up very easily.