Rottweilers Kill Horse - Lancs

Natch

Visit site
frown.gif
horrific.

I wonder if they were pets or fighters, or maybe even guard dogs? Training often has a lot to answer for but I suspect this could just be two dogs following their inborn instincts to tragic results.

frown.gif

JillA

Visit site
I doubt very much that dogs, even in a pack of two would attack an animal so much larger than themselves without provocation - either encouraged by so called "men" or trained to attack by so called men. Unless the horse was injured or threatening them, they would normally leave something that big alone, it would be asking for defeat and possible injury.
What ARE we doing in this society we live in??

Stella

Visit site
Unfortunately, there are many instances of dogs attacking horses unprovoked. In the wild, canines hunt in packs and they do bring down prey much bigger than themselves. Sometimes domesticated dogs revert to old, deep seated instincts. There really doesn't have to have been a human involved in this - other than the act of failing to keep her/his dogs under control.

cefyl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt very much that dogs, even in a pack of two would attack an animal so much larger than themselves without provocation - either encouraged by so called "men" or trained to attack by so called men. Unless the horse was injured or threatening them, they would normally leave something that big alone,

[/ QUOTE ]

Some dogs have more prey drive than others and they do NOT need the prey to be injured or threatening to take up an attack. Or encouraged by man. Some years ago there was an incident on a beach on the Wirral when a racehorse was chased by two dogs (Boxers if I recall) and the horse was chased into the sea and subesquently drowned. The owners said "the dogs had never shown aggression before, and probably never did after but then it was too late - SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON A LEAD!!!

Our UK property is close to accessable beach riding and we have been "chased" by loose dogs with alarming regularity over the past 30 yrs and the dog owners seem at times to think the dogs are having "fun". It got so bad I resorted to carrying a hunting whip.

You only have to look back even last week a young boy's pony was attacked by two loose dogs, that is when canine instinct takes over and even a family lap warmer is capable of this type of aggression if stimulated.

Yes we have dogs, several but keep them on a leash in public places at ALL TIMES. You will find most counties in the UK have some ordinance requiring "dogs to be kept under control at all times in public places" and this basically means leashed. If only a leash law would be enforced incidences like this would hopefully dimish.

genie

Visit site
I just posted re this on another thread.
A couple of years ago, a couple with 1 dogue de bordeaux walked ( trespassing) through our farm yard. The dog was not on a lead and the couple were probably late 40s to early 50s.

the mare was standing at a gate and the dog flipped. Mare is 15.2hh Tb. The dog leaped up to her withers and started trying to pull her down.......no warning at all. Luckily I was there, I yelled at the dog owners and this incited the dog more. the owners told me their dog was never naughty and was only trying to play. The mare was terrified.
This dog.saw it with my own eyes.....didn't hesitate to attack a reasonably large horse.....it just flipped..and when the mare started to run from the dog, the dog chased and was jumping up at the mare.

foxviewstud

www.foxviewstud.co.uk
cant see the link, i have a rottie that wont go near the ponies, he got too friendly and he got booted and he learnt to stay away, this rottie also plays with a friends goat, but my collie who has been booted several times will still nip the back of their legs if he gets the chance, he isnt aggressive but its a pain but stick him in with sheep and he will mother them, i know who i would trust with the horses!!!