Rough collie owners?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Anyone on here?

I've had border collies, a saluki and a long haired dachshund in the past. OH is a bit reluctant to get another dachshund due to their potential for back problems. Another border would be nice but they're so variable in their temperaments a puppy would be a bit of a gamble.

From what I've been reading a rough collie would be a good fit for us (assuming I can find one - there don't seem to be many about)...anyone with experience on here?

FinnBobs

Visit site
Hi Nudibrach. I have two Rough Collies; a bitch who my Husband and I re-homed last June at 5 years old and then as we loved her so much we got an 11 month old male to join her this year. They are our first dogs and we have definitely fallen in love with them. They are both really sweet but they do seem to be quite sensitive and I have read that they do best to be socialized from a young age or they can be fearful. We take our boy into the office with us and he is very good with everybody here. In general they don't like to be left alone, however our bitch is quite introverted and has some fear aggression due to her past and will guard her territory a bit so she we have found that she actually prefers a quiet environment and to be at home but I don't think this is the norm for the breed and our boy isn't like this at all. Both of ours are really good with children, with our cat and around horses and they love playing together!

The grooming isn't as bad as it looks. We give ours a good groom once a week with grooming spray and a Denman brush and a slicker brush and they go to a groomer for a bath and trim every 8 weeks but you can do that yourself too. They do shed quite a bit though.

The best place to find a collie is to have a look on the Collielife website. There's lots of good info on there too.
pooch.jpg
Here's a pic of Twinkle (sable) and Jerry (blue merle)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
OP-plenty of rough collies in Scotland, you might have to plan trip to some shows. I don't know much about them, we had a breeder at the vet practice I worked at down south but that was decades ago. I expect, just like the smooths, that they are still collies with collie tendancies (noise sensitivity, instinct to chase, like the sound of their own voices if left to it etc) just maybe watered down ones from border collies.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
38769182_10101015110480008_6960713631017205760_o.jpg
Agree with everything Finnbobs has said. Mine is actually a Rough x border collie though. Her coat is pretty self cleaning, she gets a brush once a week and a bath before holidays and Christmas. She adores children, doesn't suffer with the heat more than any other dog, but is sensitive, utterly loyal, kind and obedient.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
@dogatemysalad your dog is stunning!
My OH had rough collies for years and loved them, we now have a border who's absolutely full on, I think the rough and smooth collies are very similar to borders but without the need for so much stimulation.
They're very unusual around here, we never see a rough collie and I don't believe I've ever met a smooth collie!

Annette4

Visit site
I grew up with a rough collie, she was a wonderful dog and is why I'm as dog obsessed as I am.

She was great with kids, people and the majority of dogs but never forgot being attacked by a JRT and although not aggressive with them would avoid them and grump if they got in her face. I also remember having to be a bribe as she hated having her bum brushed so I was the constant treat dispenser while mum brushed her gently :p

I'm desperate for a rough or smooth collie but OH isn't a fan.

FinnBobs

Visit site
Beautiful dogs!

How do you find they cope in hot weather (admittedly not a huge problem in Northumberland)?

They actually aren't too bad in hot weather really. No worse than my Dad's Springer Spaniels, although they do appreciate a nice cool mat :) I would say they are just a bit lazier when it is hot. I do tend to walk them in the morning and evening though if we have a really hot spell.

I love rough collies now. I even find the grooming therapeutic!