Rough guide pls - what weight can i expect him to carry?

Martop

Visit site
Hi all - I have a 16.2hh TB, fairly lightweight but not twig like! he does have high withers and quite a pronounced spine and 'jumpers bump' (this is his natural shape and build).

My question is : what weight can i reasonably expect him to carry on a hack? the reason i ask is we have recently lost my husbands horse and he would like to be able to ride mine, but i'm worried he's too big and heavy. He's 6'2" and weighs 14.7 stone. Ta

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I no expert, in any way lol, but I'm thirteen and a half stone and rode a four year old IDxTB 16hh mare on hacks of up to an hour. I've also ridden daughter's 14hh five year old cob for a gentle forty-five minute hack. I used to worry, but both the vet and the back lady said it was okay: i've had both checked by the back lady after riding and she says they're fine
smile.gif

amycov

Visit site
I imagine the horse would be able to cope with him, but just let him ride for say 10 minutes, and see how the horse copes, then gradually increase the riding time to get the horse used to carrying a good weight.

Firewell

Visit site
I wouldnt put any one over 12 stone on him. My TB is 16hh and I wouldnt put anyone over 11 1/2 on her. If your OH is a very experienced, light seated rider I may waiver it but I do think you have to be careful with TB's, they aren't bred to carry weight. If it was IDx I'd say it would be fine.
I know how you feel a bit because my OH is exactly the same height and weight as yours and hes desperate to ride but I think my horses legs would snap if her rode her!

Lopod

Visit site
I have a 16.2 TB but he is quite chunky with 9 1/2" bone. My vet said he could carry 16 stone. He taught my portly husband to ride, no trouble at all.

Firewell

Visit site
sorry i dont agree with heavy weights on fine boned horses. Its unneccesary when there are lots of lovely horses with more bone.
ALSO 12 1/2 is two stone lighter than 14 1/2. Those men are in lightweight race saddles and ride with light seats.

Martop

Visit site
Thanks for your replies - he isn't very experienced but isn't a bad rider. I was wondering if it's just me being over protective (and selfish?! LOL).
I also worry about the extra weight 'squashing' my saddle!

All opinions are valued and do help so keep 'em coming please,

thanks.