Roughing off til spring

myprincess

Visit site
Wondered what everyone's thoughts are on retiring my 5 yr old TB until spring. I spend ALOT of time at work it's dark when u set off and dark when I come back I have 1 day off a week and you can guarantee it will be raining/snowing and I have no arena.
Should I give in and leave him til the light nights come or try and ride as and when just to keep him ticking over?
FYI he isn't the type of horse that needs working consistently to remain sane he will be fine to get straight on after a break I jut feel like hell be bored stuck in the field day in day out or maybe he'll enjoy his rest?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Give him a break, I've spent all my life trying to keep my horses ticking over and going for winter, finishing work and just wanting to go home and get warm etc until this year. I decided that the amount of riding I'm able to do probably isn't really worth it anyway!
It's great, totally stress free and easy. Horse is happy. Plastered in mud hairy, no shoes but who cares!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Agree with poiuytrewq - I think we spend far too much time stressing about whether they should be worked and most don't care at all!

My own horse has a tendency to become slightly bolshy if not worked (ie, forgets his manners a bit) but soon reverts to his normal self once back in work. As long as you have plenty of turnout, he'll be fine!

Don't beat yourself up. A bit of time off can be very useful for a five year old to assimilate all they have learnt in the last couple of years so look at it that way instead :)

exracehorse

Visit site
My TB is not ridden from November to March. I'm too busy at work during the day and it's dark when I get to the yard to pull in. During spring and summer then he's ridden every evening.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think a lot of horses would benefit from a break if you can get shoes off all the better, most eventers and hunters get a good 6/8 weeks off at the end of the season to let niggles heal and their mind relax
Not only will it not do any harm it may well do some good.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Mine are on holiday dec to march on a hilly field. Nice break for them and me

Sounds like a great idea! Nell has been doing very little work of late for a few reasons, lack of time, sometimes motivation, and the weather has not been that great, Nell is a bit of a plonker since the weather turned, having a short break is not such a bad idea at all, I like the idea of dec-march off :)