Rowland Fernyhough or Eric Winter?

millitiger

Visit site
looking for a jumping trainer and both of these people are about the same distance from our yard.

recommendations/ thoughts on either please? either on here or via pm.

i have a sharp little tb who makes a lovely shape over the fence and is bold and brave but we need to work on between the fences as she likes to add her own freestyling moves and i know we need to work on a more up and bouncy canter.

jumping around 95-110cm at the moment and competing Intro but want to move up to PN perhaps Novice by the end of the season.

i don't mind being shouted at as long as we are improving!

thank you

humblepie

Visit site
Did a Rowland Fernyhough clinic with my little TB mare who was bouncy pony type show jumper although 15.3 and from what I can remember it was good. He worked on the letting her sort it out for herself and getting her canter more even rather than me over setting her up. Disclaimer - this was over 20 years ago! Hopefully someone else can give you more relevant and recent experiences.

SJFAN

Visit site
Rowland has long and varied experience (from ponies & novives to Olympics in 1976) - he's in his mid 50s. Friendly and honest.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Don't know Rowland Fernyhough, but I have done a XC Clinic with Eric Winter and in IMHO I was not impressed with his teaching style, and paticularly how he worked the horses as a group (Close order over 3' fences....). Never had a private or SJ lesson with him though.

Emma123

Visit site
Rowland taught me from when I was around 12 until I was 18 and went to uni. He is very good, makes you realise how quick everything comes up around a course and adapts to the one you are on.

Both my 2 I took to him went from green novices to eventually jumping a decent hight BSJA. Great facilities too-here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnFag6-bz4Q

millitiger

Visit site
thanks everyone, will try Rowland on that basis.

and Emma, i would be v.pleased if i could get Millie that close to the base of the fence hence wanting a better canter.