Royal Ascot

Fools Motto

Visit site
Managed to catch a glimpse of some of the racing today.
Really like that colt Gleneagles.

What are peoples' opinions on the statue of Frankel? I'm not so sure I like it, but obviously not being up close can make a difference?

Loved the Queen, as always. She has got such a divine smile.

And what is going on with Zara? Is she pregnant again, or am I being very rude in thinking her outfit wasn't the best choice? - (just seen some online photos of Ascot).

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think I will need to see the bronze, but the image I have of his tail looked like muddy monster after a wallow in wet mud. Overall it looks rather static, I like the plinth!
I missed most of the program, hope I can get it on the net.

Havannah

Visit site
A great days racing...Gleneagles was so impressive but I have a penchant for greys so was very pleased to see Solow win the Queen Anne. As to the Frankel bronze I am hugely disappointed. I've no doubt the sculptor spent many hours on it but I hate the 'rustic' finish, it's almost amateurish. I can't see Frankel anywhere in it I'm afraid...always difficult to capture the essence of a living creature in an inanimate medium be it paint or bronze, but there are much better equine statues around that actually look like their subject.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm so pleased that it isn't just me that isn't overly impressed with that statue. I've seen more photos online of it, and the more I look the more I don't get it.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
sorry i hated the statue, from what I saw on TV this morning it did not even begin to capture the essence of Frankel. It is such a static pose for an animal so full of life and running. It simply looks like every other badly made, lazy racing statue. They use the same tired, traditional sculptures who barely seem to put any effort in to giving a new take on the subject. They prob just cast it off an generic mould by the look of it. Usually I would be there on friday but we are not going this year, going to miss it, great day out!