Royal Windsor Horse Show

Cloud9

Visit site
Am gutted. Going tomorrow and was so looking forward to it. Hotel booked the lot so could make the most of the day :-(

Marciamac

Visit site
Windsor Horse Show was a complete fiasco yesterday. I checked web site at 10.30/ 10.45 to see if car parking was still okay (we had pre-booked). The site said the show was not affected by the weather. Left London at 11.15. Stood in traffic in Windsor for an hour; got to grounds and couldn't see car park we were meant to be in. Asked a marshall who didn't know anything. Drove on until we were leaving Windsor, turned around and went back. Asked another marshall who said car park was closed, we would be reimbursed the £6 we had spent, and would have to find somewhere to park in the town. We ended up in a multi-story we had passed while stuck in traffic; had to wait to get in - and pay £20 as we were staying for the Diamond Jubilee Pageant (see other posting!). We got to show after 2.00, just in time to see the tail end of a class in which my friends were competing, and which was the main reason we went in the daytime.

To make matters worse, we were told by a trade exhibitor the car park had been shut at 7.30am; then I talked to a couple who said they had not booked parking but were directed to a field across the road; and today I found an email timed at 5.44pm yesterday to advise anyone coming to the evening pageant that the car park was shut.

Why on earth didn't they put a notice on their web site first thing in the morning?

The organisers are the same idiots that caused such a shambles when the European eventing championships came to Windsor a few years ago.

The only thing I'll say in their favour is that, for the first time at Windsor, I found a large test with tables in it so you could sit down in the dry to eat your picnic or food bought bought at the showground.

Marciamac

Visit site
I gather from previous posters showing classes have been cancelled; don't know about driving, but I'd check before you go if I were you. My jeans were stiff with mud when I got home; take whatever waterproof/mud-proof clothing and footwear you have. Bring food rather than buy, if you can: a German sausage and chips was £5.50, a bottle of water £2. A half-pizza I think £8.

Hunters

Visit site
Poor Marciamac You have had a rotten time. Ironically I have always found the food prices stupidly high at Windsor.

Also, whilst my sympathies are somewhat with the organisers, one can't help feeling that they might have had plenty of notice with regards the weather & therefore time to have implemented some 'adverse weather' measures.,,,

kelly_s1

Visit site
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone had gone today after 2 days of dry weather, what's the car park like and walking around, is it unbelievably muddy?

Thanks.

teapot

Visit site
Well they've opened the car parks again...

Friend and I are going tomorrow but parking in town (thankfully we both know Windsor quite well)

TicTac

Visit site
Well I went today and was pleased to say that the sun and wind have dried out the ground considerably and allthough muddy in places it was good enough not to have to wear wellies. They have put boards down in the shopping area and bark chippings elsewhere and we were able to park at the show ground.

However when you leave, you are directed through the grounds and where the lorries and trailers are parked and I have to say that you can see what a complete mess it is. It would be a logistical nightmare trying to get a show ground full of horse boxes towed out of the mud!