RSPCA and the Prince affair

Highlands

Visit site
In that case I'd be p****d off with the vets not a charity that did what they could!!! I'd have contacted the RCVS about the refusal from the vet to attend? And if what you say is right that the RSPCA is the only other resource out there to help, don't bad mouth them for doing what they could, help them increase their resources by donating???

A vet CAN'T put to sleep without owners permission .. I am not sure if this is the case I was more upset about the cat( sorry not a lawyer so can't check) At least I did something apart from being so critical. When you need the police or any other 999 service I hope they don't take 2 hours to get to you or any animal. The RSPCA are the only animal voice with seizing powers...who else could I call if vets could/ would not attend?

Moomin1

Visit site
A vet CAN'T put to sleep without owners permission .. I am not sure if this is the case I was more upset about the cat( sorry not a lawyer so can't check) At least I did something apart from being so critical. When you need the police or any other 999 service I hope they don't take 2 hours to get to you or any animal. The RSPCA are the only animal voice with seizing powers...who else could I call if vets could/ would not attend?

Oh and the finest example of ignorance on this thread...

FionaM12

Visit site
Fiona,

I just need to say that Prince was "no longer a welfare case" according to Jess's vet when he was PTS and she was happy to report that to the RSPCA. He was PTS because he had ailments that weren't fixable and could have deteriorated rapidly at any time. The decision was hers and hers alone - sorry but I think that's an important distinction.

I'm not saying that Jessi didn't take her sad decision independently of the RSPCA. Only that as I remember they said he might need to be pts, and in the end that was Jessi's conclusion too. In no way am I criticising Jessi.

FionaM12

Visit site

I've seen a vet pts a cat after a road accident without the owner's consent so I know they can. :confused3:

I didn't think the RSPCA had seizing powers? :confused3:

Last edited:

competitiondiva

Visit site
I also very strongly feel that they have no business bringing private prosecutions - that is the job of the Government and the CPS despite their apparent unwillingness to do so. If they were to campaign to change that policy I would support them wholeheartedly. I have written to my MP on the subject.

Have you also asked for ALL other organisations to be stopped from bringing private prosecutions?? What do you think the council bring for instance?

I agree that the CPS should do more instead of relying on charitable resources, but when you have the police referring any and all animal related incidents to other agencies I think you need to start your campaign here!!!

Highlands

Visit site
I've sen a vet pts a cat after a road accident without the owner's consent so I know they can. :confused3:

I didn't think the RSPCA had seizing powers? :confused3:

Long day.... Still feel for the cat, only doing my best. At least I cared enough to ring....

competitiondiva

Visit site

Surely a vet has the ultimate decision whether an animal needs PTS NOT the RSPCA, but police are actually the ONLY ones who can authorise it! and what seizing powers are you talking about the RSPCA having??

I do feel it's people's ignorance of the RSPCA and the law, that results in the way they feel about this organisation!!!

Yes you showed you cared and did what you could for the cat, but so did the RSPCA!

Moomin1

Visit site
Long day.... Still feel for the cat, only doing my best. At least I cared enough to ring....

And RSPCA officers are only doing their best. At least they care enough to try in sometimes impossible circumstances. And then they get told they are useless, after being out all night driving up to 300 miles in one shift to just try and get to everything.

Soul destroying.

Goldenstar

Visit site

The law protects a vet who PTS an animal who is suffering without the owners consent .
The police authorise the seizing of animals the RSPCA is acting unlawfully if they do it without police permission.

Highlands

Visit site
I just rang them, sorry not a lawyer.... Or vet

Don't have a massive problem with them , credit where due they did remove some monkeys from an appalling house locally. Like I said just an animal lover who tried to do the right thing. Feel other charities do alot more, PDSA and blue cross both make a difference with vet care and education.

competitiondiva

Visit site
I just rang them, sorry not a lawyer.... Or vet

Don't have a massive problem with them , credit where due they did remove some monkeys from an appalling house locally. Like I said just an animal lover who tried to do the right thing. Feel other charities do alot more, PDSA and blue cross both make a difference with vet care and education.

So why didn't you call them out to the cat???

edited the rest as cross posted with moomin1

competitiondiva

Visit site

Forgot to point out that the police or other 999 service is paid for out of your taxes, they are a government service. The RSPCA is a Charity, run soley on donations...... that's your difference...

FionaM12

Visit site
Forgot to point out that the police or other 999 service is paid for out of your taxes, they are a government service. The RSPCA is a Charity, run soley on donations...... that's your difference...

I can't imagine how anyone can compare their expectations of a charity with the emergency services. When I dial 999 and ask for an ambulance (something I've had to do quite a lot in my lifetime) I know they are already near at hand, fully staffed and ready to race out to my call as that's their job.

I'd expect them to be there in minutes, not hours.

If I called one inspector who deals with a huge area, and many calls, and is NOT an emergency service I wouldn't expect that as that's NOT his job. :rolleyes3:

Goldenstar

Visit site
One of the problems with the RSPCA is I feel that they are victims of their TV profile people watch the programmes and it gives a false expectation of what they can achieve .

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
I worked at a small sanctuary and we were constantly getting phone calls about animals the RSPCA would not come out for. The sanctuary has also taken animals from them that were due to be pts.
Not once in the 18months I worked there did the RSPCA ever respond to any call we made regarding needing help. From that moment on I refused to give them a penny. If you are going to donate to an animal charity, choose a small local one who desperately needs your more and is open to letting you visit.
In the W.Mids there is a hoohah over the new RSPCA hospital and building. It a £30 taxi ride from the nearest house to it. How are those who can't afford it going to be able to stump out on the taxi fairs and the treatment? It doesn't take any animals in-even though it is on acres of land.
They are a total joke of a charity!

Queenbee

Visit site
Goldenstar it is perfectly reasonable to politely decline and shut the door.
My point was the gleeful malice shining through from the first few posters on this thread is disgraceful.

Not that I believe they will ever change, but don't you think that its worth telling them why people don't like their practices, why they won't donate, or shall we for the sake of politeness let them stay in blissful ignorance?

If you saw someone neglecting a horse... Would you be quiet just to be polite? I think not. So just why on earth do you think we as horse lovers should sit by and say nothing, not voice our opinions when given the chance. Many people on here have bad feeling about the RSPCA, personally I believe for good reason, many people also feel that whilst the RSPCA are not the people who starve or beat horses, they don't act when they should (which is negligent) and wade in when they clearly don't need to, or if the press will be there ;)

Yes, in some cases they do a good job, but their service with regards to horses is mediocre at best, why shouldn't the public demand more, why should their practices or the practices of ANY charity go unquestioned? I for one would not hesitate to explain exactly why I wouldn't give them a penny much as I may be tempted to just shut the door in their face if they were rude enough to question me on the subject.

cbmcts

Visit site
Have you also asked for ALL other organisations to be stopped from bringing private prosecutions?? What do you think the council bring for instance?

I agree that the CPS should do more instead of relying on charitable resources, but when you have the police referring any and all animal related incidents to other agencies I think you need to start your campaign here!!![/QUOTE

There is no issue with a council for instance bringing prosecutions - they are governmental and there are strong procedures in place to hld them accountable for their actions. That is not the case with charities, your only recourse in a dispute of its the courts and for that you need a lot of money!

Private prosecutions should be allowed IMHO but there does need to be something like an ombudsman to prevent abuses.