rubbed skin from saddle

Hsaam

Visit site
hello,
my mare has recently had a sore in her armpit area due to my cinch being to tight. i gave her about a month and a half to heal up and recently have been riding again. i noticed yesterday after our ride that the wound is back and a little worse. is there any thing i can put on it or should i just wait?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Clean the wound with a gentle antiseptic and let it heal. Keep an eye on it though.

As this has now happened twice, I think you need a new cinch. Can you get one that is cut out/shaped around the elbows? Also consider a sheepskin cover. I have to use those with my mare who is thin skinned and it is important to keep it clean. You can get washable sheepskin girth covers which helps with cleaning.

Hsaam

Visit site
Clean the wound with a gentle antiseptic and let it heal. Keep an eye on it though.

As this has now happened twice, I think you need a new cinch. Can you get one that is cut out/shaped around the elbows? Also consider a sheepskin cover. I have to use those with my mare who is thin skinned and it is important to keep it clean. You can get washable sheepskin girth covers which helps with cleaning.
thanks. i may be able to find one with the elbow cut out. i have a been using this girth for a while on her (about 3 years) and this has never bothered her before. thanks again

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Has the saddle fit changed and it's running forwards, or somehow you're placing it too far forwards? The saddle moving and pulling the girth forwards into the elbow is a common cause for sudden onset girth rubbing in English saddles.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
thanks. i may be able to find one with the elbow cut out. i have a been using this girth for a while on her (about 3 years) and this has never bothered her before. thanks again

After checking saddle fit and whether the girth has got old and stiff, I would be looking at any cause that might give her more delicate skin, like Cushings. How old is she?

Hsaam

Visit site
After checking saddle fit and whether the girth has got old and stiff, I would be looking at any cause that might give her more delicate skin, like Cushings. How old is she?
she is about 8. she’s a little heavier but not much. i ride her in a western saddle. i have switched the girth on my saddle and called the vet and they suggested honey and cold wash every day.

Hsaam

Visit site
Has the saddle fit changed and it's running forwards, or somehow you're placing it too far forwards? The saddle moving and pulling the girth forwards into the elbow is a common cause for sudden onset girth rubbing in English saddles.
i don’t ride english but i will try putting her saddle back a bit more maybe