Rubbed tail in trailer

Lightning

Visit site
We have 2 of our horses who sit on the ramp of the trailer when travelling. They both seem to get a sore patch either side of the tail. One time to the point of the hair falling out.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any remedies? The trailer ramp has coconut matting on it and are thinking of changing it to rubber but still think this problem will occur.

Keltic

Visit site
OOH ive seen a special tail guard you can by, it covers the tail and the rump too, i will ry and think who its made by. My trailer has rubber matting and it rubbed my mares tail when her tail bandage slipped. I now use a tail guard instead.

**goes off to think of the name**

Haniki

Visit site
I use a tail bandage and a tail guard on one of mine that sits back (and stand her well frward). Has anybody used one of those quarter guards? I wondered about getting one as my horse has an old scar on her quarters and she rubs this sometimes.

Daisychain

Visit site
If you use an ifor williams trailer, with bars at back, put them further forward with horses tail over top and it keeps them away from back board, you dont even need a tail bandage.

gummybear

Visit site
My horse travels in a tail bandage, full length padded tail guard over the top, and a quarter guard as he rubs his bum! Think I possibly got it from Robinsons or Derby House - it is an absolute god send!

LaurenS

New User
Visit site
Hello there, My horse has the same problem. It would help me heaps if I could get a photo of the quarterguard. I am a bit handy with the sewing machine and would like to make one. I have seen the photo on the website, but I cant see enough to make my own.
What material is it made of?
How does it stay up without the surcingle? It say its optional but I cant see how it would stay up.

Thanks heaps for any help!!