Rubber crumb vs rubber chip

stimpy

Visit site
I am looking for an arena top up for an existing sand and rubber arena. The arena is more than 20 years old and most of the rubber has gone but I've had an arena survey and there is enough sand and I've been advised to just put a layer of rubber on top to 'seal' it. I've had a competative quite for rubber crumb rather than rubber chip and looking at the sample it seems to break down to really tiny crumbs when I rub it between my fingers. I can't decide whether it's a bad idea as most of it will blow away into the paddocks and/or disappear my yard drains that are nearby or whether it's a good idea as the crumb could knit together into a really stable surface like the small bits disappearing into the bottom of the museli tin 😅 My arena gets a lot of use as my ponies have it for turnout in both winter and summer, and I ride in it 3-4 times each week for flatwork.

Does anyone have experience of crumb rather than the bigger chips of rubber? I've also seen some arenas with strips of rubber which is the other end of the spectrum and I just want to understand the pros and cons because of course the person selling it will always say their product is the best.

stimpy

Visit site
The crumb will blow away and be dusty. I find chip and sand is good all year round. Flat rubber pieces can be slippery when wet.
This is what my gut has been telling me. I really like the ride from the rubber chip on sand, and even though my arena is way past its best it is useable in all but monsoon weather but it really needs refurbishing now.