Rubber mats, having them sealed in ??

whiteflower

Visit site
Following on from the rubber mats thread where lots of people are talking about the wee going underneath and smelling, has anyone had theirs properly laid and sealed ?

I'm considering replacing some very old matting in stables and wondered if I would be better off getting a company in to fit and seal them. My concern is how good this sort of 'sealing' is and goes it become less watertight as the horses walk on it ??

Any experiences of sealed matting appreciated before I spend a significant amount of money !

Abacus

Visit site
I was once at a yard that had them, and used minimal bedding as they were very thick and warm. It seemed like a good economic solution long-term as the bedding cost was lower. It did make the rugs stink as they tended to lie in poo and wee more. In answer to your questions, it did seem to work in being watertight - they were the kind that were made from rubber powder which moulded to the stable shape so no gaps at all.

dixie

Visit site
I've always had sealed in mats. They worked brilliantly, were very watertight and never had smelling etc & obviously never came out - I did always have bedding on top. They never lost their watertightness.
The downside was that after a number of years (about 10 I think, maybe a little less) the rubber has stretched and formed large ripples. These eventually became so large we had to cut them which then of course meant they were no longer sealed. They are also a problem if you move yards!
I don't think the company I used trades anymore though.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
When I first fitted rubber matting about 15 years ago, I was persuaded that they should be sealed, I was sold a "Special Sealant" at great cost which proved to be useless. Unless you are having a poured floor, it is inevitable that you will get leakage between the seams, which allows pools of pee to build up under the mat. I used to lift them out every year and jet wash and put disinfectant powder down underneath them, this also allows me to rotate the mats as they get worn, obviously this is harder if you have to cut them to shape.
We originally used shavings in a full bed on the mats and currently use straw on top of them.

Cecile

Visit site
I had mine fitted and sealed many years ago. I can't remember the company name but they came out laid the matting and sealed it all. They used some sort of marine sealant, no smell, no movement and no problems, I actually forget the rubber matting is there, I do have bedding down and a couple of times a year I give the rubber floors a good jet wash and in between throw powdered disinfectant when I lift the beds

I suppose at some point I will have to reseal it but there is no need at present, I can't remember how long the matting has been down but its many years now so its quite possible I will need to replace the matting before the sealant ever needs replacing

Edgehog

Visit site
I've had sealed rubber mats for several years without any leakage or problems. Professionally fitted by Quattro https://www.quattro.org.uk/equine/stable-matting/bonding-system/

Love them, we have very good drainage as the stables are an old cow house so use less bedding and they don't smell as you can slosh down with a bucket of water and it just drains away. They reduce work, cost of bedding and the muck heap.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
If they're cut to snugly fit the stable they don't need extra sealing in my experience. Previously at another yard I had ones sealed with rubber sealant but now I don't and they don't shift and nothing significant gets underneath them. They've been down about 4 years with no issues. I never lift them. A livery recently left and took hers up that were fitted in the same way and virtually spotless underneath.

whiteflower

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, very useful. I hadn't thought of the liquid rubber they pour in, but I just didn't imagine this would be very comfortable and must be quite hard ?

Having gone through trying to cut thick rubber mats with a Stanley knife and ending up with bleeding blistered hands I think I will get a company in to seal mats in.

No chance of us selling up anytime soon so should be ok from a point of not being able to move them. I have a couple that scrape at the door so the door mats may need replacing sooner but I'm guessing I could cut that mat out and reseal. The responses in general and quite positive so think I'll have a ring around

Goldenstar

Visit site
They have this at my vets I like them so much I have them fitted in my barn in the beginning of December .
A company called Quattro are supplying and fitting and doing some wall mats as well I am have the walk ways and wash area done as well I can't wait .

Lada

New User
Visit site
We fitted mats ourselves three years ago and it's worked really well. To cut, we used a jigsaw with a smooth (not serrated) blade and put some washing up liquid on the surface before cutting. To seal the mats we used roof and gutter sealant.

Leo Walker

Visit site
We fitted mats ourselves three years ago and it's worked really well. To cut, we used a jigsaw with a smooth (not serrated) blade and put some washing up liquid on the surface before cutting. To seal the mats we used roof and gutter sealant.

I'm glad you said that! I'm just about to put some down in my trailer and that was my plan, but I had no idea if it would work or not!