Rubber mats in field shelters - do they get slippery?

Pebble101

Visit site
I am desperate for some rubber mats, but having seen my horse canter into the shelter having jumped the 4 inch lip I am worried he will slip if they get wet. How do you all cope? Thanks

dwi

Visit site
Depending on what your floor is made of at the moment I would have said that its no more slippery than other surfaces.

They are designed with little bobbles on top to help with grip and they do indent slightly when the horse stands on them so I would say not slippy

claireross

ccjack.co.uk
Interesting, i must admit that our ponies stable seems slippery to me, as I soak her hay and obviously it drips. Could you not use a small amount of bedding just to be on the safe side?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well we've had rubber matting for years in one stable/shelter and only maybe twice have I ever seen a horse slip on them (when they've peed on wet hay and slid on it!). We have straw over concrete in our other stable/shelter and this is most slippy, one of mine trotted into it the other day and slid clean over smacking his shoulder off the entrance way - could have been bloody nasty but luckily he's always doing stupid things so he's quite robust! So IMO rubber matting is excellent, if your worried you can always just have it underneath shavings or something.

Pebble101

Visit site
My problem is that in the occasional very heavy downpour the field shelter gets a lot o water in it (it clears very quickly) so I wouldn't want any form of bedding on it. At the moment the base is road scalpings which does give a good grip.