rubber matting - cleaning

WoodysMum

Visit site
My friend has kindly offered me her mats when she sells her horse, but they havent been lifted for years! Whats the best way to go about cleaning/disinfecting them before I put them in my boy's stable? And should I do anything to my stable floor before?

Ezme

Visit site
A bit of detol some water and a scrubbing brush/broom should get them clean for you. As for underneath make sure theres enough drainge, some mats have plastic mesh that lifts them off the floor for just this so the liquid acctually has somewhere to go!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Pressure washer!! Make sure your floor is clean and dry before the mats go in. Wash and disinfect the mats where they are then move them when they're clean - nothing worse than moving stinky dirty mats around
crazy.gif

custard

Visit site
Personally would steer clear of the pressure washer since I've only ever got in a complete filthy mess with one or at least just don't do it inside the stable!

It's easiest if you get hold of a pair of G clamps. Clamp them to each mat to use as 'handles' and pull them outside first to somewhere it doesn't matter if you make a mess. Then just use a jet hose and broom.

custard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'G' clamps? I just put on rubber gloves when I lift my mats.

[/ QUOTE ]

They help you get a good grip on the wet slippy mats, found the tip on here somewhere and wish I'd discovered it years ago before I moved them to 5 different yards!