Rubber matting in stable gone really slippy

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I nearly went ar*e over tip last night when I skidded on my horses bubble type rubber matting at the front of the stable and ended up doing the splits.;) Its gone really slippy where she pulls the wet hay out of the hay bar in an attempt to sort through it and dumps it on the floor.She never wastes any, it all gets eaten over the course of the night but I can't stop her from doing it - she can't have a haynet.

I was on my hands and knees at 7pm last night scrubbing the floor with a solution of salt and hot water, but that did nothing so in the end I got some sand out of the school and scrubbed that in which gave only a slightly better result when I ran my rubber welly boot sole over it.But its still quite slippy. Its a patch about four foot long and about two foot wide.

I can't be putting anything toxic/chemically that she can pick up with the hay she drops off onto the floor and then eats. Sand's not a good idea either to be honest. I did wonder if washing up liquid dissolved in hot water and scrubbed over might help. When you scrape your nail over the bubble surface it comes up with like a brown/black gunge - its clearly from the hay.

Anyone else have this problem? What's the solution please?:confused:

Last edited:

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i think you have life forms growing on it, from the wet hay. these are made up of fungi/algae/bacteria, try some vinegar and leave to soak for a bit then scrub and leave and then wash off. if you don't want a chip shop there are always the wine versions

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Put hay to the back of the stable or put bedding up to the door?

Hi Cecile, good idea but this isn't practical due to the layout of the stable and where the haybar is fixed. Also don't want to be spreading bedding every time he comes in/out of the stable, especially as I don't t/o or b/I weekdays - think the staff might get a bit annoyed when they have spent an hour sweeping up the yard! lol

Holeymoley, I've used a stiff bristled scrubbing brush which didn't get rid of it, but a hoof pick might be more effective.
Diluted Jeyes fluid might dissolve the grime.
Shay the green stuff sounds good, but you are right it is expensive.
Holly & Ivy - David Attenborough could make a documentary about what's growing on my rubber mat lol

Suby2

Visit site
Jeyes fluid also gets rid of algae. We use it on our paths which get slippy and slimy in winter.

FubsyMog

Visit site
I've used ordinary table salt with great effect for getting rid of various weeds, moss, and other unwanted 'green stuff' in the garden/driveway. An application of dry salt might do the trick, and be fairly horse-safe? Just sprinkle it on dry (enough to coat the area well), don't mix with water or anything. I've found it's usually done the trick in about 48 hours. Biological washing power also 'eats' algae on surfaces (again, just sprinkle it straight on and leave for a couple of days), but not a great option for a stable, unless you can vacate said stable for the duration.

holeymoley

Visit site
I just used the hoof pick to scrape away and then some bog standard floor cleaner you'd use in the house, scrub with a stiff brush and put water over to rinse.,

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Thanks for all the wonderful replies, certainly a lot to think about. Going to try the vinegar one, might stop off at the supermarket tonight and get some to try. Then I can work up to floor cleaners, jeyes, green gloop, etc if that doesn't work.