Rubber Matting? Opinons please?

Jemayni

Visit site
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but...

My horse has had 4 months off this summer with various concussion injuries, he is now sound *everypart of body crossed.* However I have noticed he is still a bit pottery when he comes out of the stable.

I wondered if rubber matting would help cushion his joints.

The problem is is his stable is more like a small barn, therefore I cannot justify/afford to mat the whole lot. He stands mainly at the front of his box, near his hay and door; I can't put the bed to the door as he moves it around and still stands on concrete. Could I just put one mat at the front of his stable, or will it move.

Just in case it makes any difference he is only 6, and is not arthritic (sp) in any way.

JadeWisc

Visit site
Is he confined in the barn/stall on concrete all night? I am not a fan of having them stand on it for long periods of time. Especially if there is an injury or soreness.. I can imagine it would be very difficult to lay down as well. Can you
A. give him acess to go in and out through the night to let him choose where is more of a relief?
B. Section off an area of the barn/shelter , and then mat that part
or...............
C. have an option of another stall for now

If not, and he must be shut in there, I would do an area in the place he hangs most with the mats. They may move a bit, but I doubt they would move too far. It would have to be better than nothing.

JadeWisc

Visit site
btw. an alternative to make a temporary stall in a smaller space of the barn/stall could be as simple as taking 2 or three corrall panel gates that link together and putting them in a corner. I would secure plywood to the inside though to prevent a leg getting caught and to provide strength. If you do not have any of these materials at hand, the mats may prove less of an expense than purchasing them

GTs

Visit site
The way horses are built this have cushioning already built in - it comes from the arch of the sole.

I would not say it is the cushioning that is the problem, but lack of movement. I would turn him out in the field, throw his hay all over the place to keep him moving.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
To a certain extent, I think that standing on concrete does more good than harm. A hard surface is more likely to get the circulation going then rubber.
Maybe encouraging him to move around a bit more may be the key to preventing him getting stiff - a big box is excellent for this. Put his hay/haylage in small piles around the box, or maybe get one of those ball things.

dieseldog

Visit site
If you got the really heavy matting it wouldn't move, and if it did not much - but a lot of them are quite lightweight and would move a lot. It wouldn't hurt to put some by his door, I know people who do.

Jemayni

Visit site
His stable is like a 10x16 ft converted barn, I prob didn't make that clear sorry!

I might try the hay thing, TBH You just made me realise the most obvious thing of move his hay away from the door, then it might actually stand on his bed....

I could also find a heavy-duty mat and problem solved, hopefully.

Thanks for the help all!

mostfunintown

Visit site
I use a cheaper option of rubber matting and I love it I changed over six years ago and i would never go back now. I got it from my local council and it is great It is the stuff the use in the outdoor play areas the mats are about 2" thick1 metre square and the wet drains through them eliminating the amonia smell of ordinary bedding. if you would like to know any more please pm me i might be able to help.