Rubbing girth! Advice please :)

BorgRae

Visit site
Hi everyone,

So, my boy gets rather sweaty round his girth area andsuffered last year with his girth rubbing :(

Initially I thought it must be his saddle, so got that checked, and had a new one fitted 5 months ago and it was re checked last month and that's perfect.

I also searched and trawled the internet, and tested and tried different girths until I thought I'd found the perfect one!

Until yesterday :( after our schooling session, low and behold it's rubbed again.

So, the question is, will a girth sleeve help? If so, what type? Lambs wool, sheep skin, fleece, these faux ones??

Are they all pretty much the same?

Any advice welcome! Cream cheese Bagles all round!

Thanks!

Dizzleton

Visit site
I would get a pure lambswool one - Le Mieux and Mattes are very good. Ensure you keep it clean and wash it regularly with special wool detergent and it will last well.

PollyP99

Visit site
Hi everyone,

So, my boy gets rather sweaty round his girth area andsuffered last year with his girth rubbing :(

Initially I thought it must be his saddle, so got that checked, and had a new one fitted 5 months ago and it was re checked last month and that's perfect.

I also searched and trawled the internet, and tested and tried different girths until I thought I'd found the perfect one!

Until yesterday :( after our schooling session, low and behold it's rubbed again.

So, the question is, will a girth sleeve help? If so, what type? Lambs wool, sheep skin, fleece, these faux ones??

Are they all pretty much the same?

Any advice welcome! Cream cheese Bagles all round!

Thanks!

My riding buddy uses a sheepskin sleeve on her Arab and she still got a rub so not much help I'm afraid.

Foxy O

Visit site
When I worked at a hunt yard a long long time ago we used to wash the horses bellies where the girth goes with salt water to toughen up the skin when we were bringing them back in to work after having the summer off. It worked really well

BorgRae

Visit site
When I worked at a hunt yard a long long time ago we used to wash the horses bellies where the girth goes with salt water to toughen up the skin when we were bringing them back in to work after having the summer off. It worked really well

Oh brill! I'll give that a go as well :) Thanks!

Bless him, he's a bit of a softie!!

welshied

Visit site
I had the same problem mainly when he was clipped but I got the nummed sheepskin girth sleeve and hes not had any problems since just wears it all the time now just have to keep it clean and washed regularly