Rubbing - sheepskin?

Calfie

Visit site
My sensitive, fully clipped horse is being rubbed where the saddle flaps lie against his sides. The rubbing is nowhere near his shoulders, withers or girth area - very definitely where the flexible part of the flaps lie against his sides. I had a saddle fitter check the fit of my saddle just in case and she is happy with it and has suggested that it's probably from the binding on my numnah and as a result of him being fully clipped. He had no rubbing in the summer so I'm inclined to agree with her.

My saddle is a forward-cut monoflap xc saddle and I use it with a thin plain cotton nuumed numnah. I thought that a numnah with a rolled sheepskin edge would solve the problem but can't find one that isn't fully sheepskin lined. I don't want to lose the close contact feel from my saddle or compromise the fit of the saddle with too much sheepskin. Anyone got any ideas of either a) where I can find an unlined rolled sheepskin edge numnah or b) any other suggestions?

Thank you!

dixie

Visit site
Why don't you try spraying mane and tail conditioner on the area or Lynn Russell show shine. Should make the area slippy and not rub so much.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The HKM Gently range has a fleece lining which is very soft and designed to prevent chafing. It's a bit thicker than a very thin pad but not as thick as the Anky ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HKM-Gentl...re-Relieving-Soft-Fleece-Lining-/271032929088

I've linked to the dressage one as the seller gives a good description but they also do GP saddlecloths (which I have and don't think would be forward cut enough for jumping saddle), numnahs and a jumping pad

Calfie

Visit site
The courtlea ones look lovely. Couldn't see prices. Look like they'd be quite expensive?

I think showshine might make the area a bit slippery.

The hkm ones look like they might do the trick. I prefer a more traditional looking numnah but horse's comfort comes first!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Last edited: