Rubbing tail solutions

Louby

Visit site
Hi,
I have a Highland pony who is rubbing his tail or bum and his tail is taking the brunt of it! Its not like a bog brush.... yet, but he has lost a lot of volume, I expect due to it breaking off. Im pretty sure it isnt sweet itch, he is up to date with worming, he is bathed once a month for the local show and his tail sometimes more often, thinking this will help. He quarters do look greasy, despite being regularly groomed, he wears a fly rug whilst out at night and comes in during the day as part of weight management, where he is naked.
Its not every day but hes making a mess of his tail, so Ive been putting botanica anti itch cream on when he does itch, and do wash it after a couple of days to prevent build up of the cream when its used.
Im thinking of sending a sample off for pin worm just in case? A friend said a dirty sheath can cause this too, so need to sort that too.
Any ideas please? Or advice on a good product that isnt as expensive as Botanica!
Thanks in advance.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wash weekly with medicated shampoo and apply gold label wonder gel to the top every day, I can't use benzyl benzoate on one of mine as it makes all his hair fall out I think his allergic but the wonder gel his fine with.

Blondiecopper

Visit site
I have Deosect which a friend of mine borrowed for her rubbing Welsh D. It did stop her from rubbing but I'm not sure what the cause was. Deosect is pretty potent though.

Louby

Visit site
I wash weekly with medicated shampoo and apply gold label wonder gel to the top every day, I can't use benzyl benzoate on one of mine as it makes all his hair fall out I think his allergic but the wonder gel his fine with.
Thank you, I had googled the ingrediants of Botanica as its soooo expensive and Wonder Gel is basically the same, so I will definitely try it and wash his tail more often. I use Dermoline Insect shampoo, so will try a medicated one next time. Id forgot about Benzyl, but would be mortified if it all fell out :eek:

Louby

Visit site
Do a patch test with Deosect I wouldn't even attempt trying it on one of mine his allergic to so many things.
I have Deosect which a friend of mine borrowed for her rubbing Welsh D. It did stop her from rubbing but I'm not sure what the cause was. Deosect is pretty potent though.
Thank you both, I dont think he has lice or anything as its just his back end. I think Im going to test him for pin worm, at least it can be excluded

catembi

Visit site
All of mine were tail rubbing. I don't usually take too much notice with the littlies as little ponies do just seem to like a scratch, especially the Shetland. When the TBs started tail rubbing as well, I did a pinworm test but they all came back -ve, & I don't think I can have messed up the sample taking for all of them? Still, it wasn't expensive & it's nice to have ruled it out. The tail rubbing has tapered off now, Shetland excepted, so goodness knows what that was all about!

Louby

Visit site
All of mine were tail rubbing. I don't usually take too much notice with the littlies as little ponies do just seem to like a scratch, especially the Shetland. When the TBs started tail rubbing as well, I did a pinworm test but they all came back -ve, & I don't think I can have messed up the sample taking for all of them? Still, it wasn't expensive & it's nice to have ruled it out. The tail rubbing has tapered off now, Shetland excepted, so goodness knows what that was all about!
Thank you, Im thinking do the test just to hopefully rule it out. It has been roasting, he does get hot but Im desperate to save his tail, my ocd has gone from twiggy legs to manes and tails since having him lol!! Im so used to Sports Horse types that would look sleek and have a fine coat at this time of year but his Summer coat especially his back end doesnt look amazing, he is so greasy.

smolmaus

Visit site
Apologies if this sounds cheeky but how often are you washing the rug? My SI mare had a greasy looking rump as well until I started religious weekly rug washes. The product on the tail (I use biteback) was leaving residue on the inside of the rug, I think.

Rugs are still rubbing her rump so now I have bristle-butt but its not as greasy!

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Some of mine were rubbing tails. Negative for pinworm but we still wormed for them, vet advice. Five days panacur and then a double dose of strongid P two weeks later. Three months on and no one is rubbing.

Louby

Visit site
Apologies if this sounds cheeky but how often are you washing the rug? My SI mare had a greasy looking rump as well until I started religious weekly rug washes. The product on the tail (I use biteback) was leaving residue on the inside of the rug, I think.

Rugs are still rubbing her rump so now I have bristle-butt but its not as greasy!
Not cheeky at all and thanks for replying. Its a Vamoose rug so Ive only washed it the once in a good few weeks since buying it. Im struggling to find rugs that will fit him as his neck is so deep but he had a Weatherbeeta one on last week as the Horsewear one has rubbed him slighty on his side of all laces??. I washed it last weekend but I never thought of that, I will keep on top of it now, sod the Vamoose lol

Louby

Visit site
Some of mine were rubbing tails. Negative for pinworm but we still wormed for them, vet advice. Five days panacur and then a double dose of strongid P two weeks later. Three months on and no one is rubbing.
Thank you, so pleased yours are no longer rubbing. Im going to do the test, Ive read it can be done online and Im more than happy to do the treatment for it either way.

Surbie

Visit site
I have a sweetitch horse and this year am applying Killitch every 3 days. It does have benzyl in it though. His rugs are washed twice a week to clear any grease and I hot cloth every now and then to help keep his coat clean as he's rugged so much.

So far no rubbing.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’ve used the D itch lotion before now…rubbed the lotion into dock which I believed soothed the skin and stopped the itch scratch cycle.

GreyDot

Visit site
My vet told me that tail rubbing with geldings can also be a sign that the sheath needs to be cleaned, so that may also be a cause.

Louby

Visit site
My vet told me that tail rubbing with geldings can also be a sign that the sheath needs to be cleaned, so that may also be a cause.
Thank you, a friend said this too and his looks a bit grim! Tomorrow is tail wash and a start at cleaning those bits o_O then pin worm test and go from there

Louby

Visit site
I have a sweetitch horse and this year am applying Killitch every 3 days. It does have benzyl in it though. His rugs are washed twice a week to clear any grease and I hot cloth every now and then to help keep his coat clean as he's rugged so much.

So far no rubbing.
Great thank you, I need to was his rugs more, hes so greasy on his rump! Will deffo look at the Killitch x

Louby

Visit site
I have had fantastic results by adding Brewers Yeast to the feed.
I’ve used the D itch lotion before now…rubbed the lotion into dock which I believed soothed the skin and stopped the itch scratch cycle.
Thank you both, he has Feedmark Benefit as a kind of balancer to try to make sure he gets everything and will look intothe D itch lotion too