Rubbing tail...

carys220

Visit site
If a horse is rubbing his tail and has no sign of sweetitch whatsoever, is the most likely reason worms or could something else be to blame?

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
My horse was furiously rubbing his tail a couple of months ago. It started looking really raw and scabby. I thought it might have been sweet itch but I asked for some advice on here and it was suggested that I give his tail a good wash with medicated shampoo and see what happened. I did that and it made a big difference but then I put aloe gel on it and it sorted itself out!!
grin.gif

JLD

Visit site
i'd try the medicated shampoo thing as well could just be dry and flaky , there is a product called 'no rub' by ? leocet - people that make bio oil anyway which has worked well on my boy.

dozzie

Visit site
Could still be the midges! Mine has done it all his life with no other rubbing. You just have to be religious about spraying the back end with fly repellent. I found a fly rug with tail flap helps.

carys220

Visit site
It's not my horse, it's a horse I'm worried about the health of. He rubs his whole back end on the dry stone wall and the top of his tail is in a right mess but ATM it seems thick enough to not let him rub the skin.

ischa

Visit site
even though you cant see it it could possibly still be sweetitch and would treat it as so i would either wash with a medicated shampoo or hibiscrub and add di itch

Tiffany

Visit site
My girl started to rub her tail and mane a few weeks ago which she's never done before. Because of the weather I put Midge Away cream on and she's not done it since so might be worth a try.

parsley

Visit site
My boy rubs his tail in the summer when its dirty - try giving it a good wash. Rubbing in pig oil and sulphur seems to help lift the dry bit of flaky skin (don't do it just before going somewhere posh though). Leave it on for 24 hours then wash again.

SALLYT

Visit site
I was told by my vet that sometimes and only sometimes tail rubbing could indicate a problem with his man bits, and if everything else has been tried ie washing with a medicated wash then the vet would also start to look at the penis.

Don't know if this help at all?