Rubbish farrier... thoughts please.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Biotin needs to be fed as part of a diet that is already balanced in mins and vets, 15 to 30 mg is the recommended amount, check out Equimins who are pretty good value and will advise,
http://www.equimins-online.com/acatalog/copy_of_Equimins_Biotin.html
Equine America are cheap too, since discovering the problems with seaweed, I have cut back my seaweed to 15 gms per day [I have 10kg to get through!]. I also feed linseed meal [cheapest at Charnwood Milling] and Feedmark Steady up for Magnesium and Yeast [my horse is spooky and area is low in Mg], also limestone flour, my costs for all these additives works out at about £1.00 per day, which is the amount I have saved in Farriers bills, but I have also saved on buying a more expensive complete diet, ie branded feeds, as I now use Speedy beet as the carrier for his feed, he is on one pet scoop per day, it has to be soaked, and seems quite a lot when fed, I am not feeding his [expensive] Dengie chaff any more, and he seems fine.
After four weeks or so, I have seen significant improvement in skin, hair and new hoof growth, my boy is on "the barefoot diet", though I must say he has always had good horn and skin.

Last edited:

TallyHo123

Visit site
Yes, I agree with the title of the post....very rubbish farrier.

Nevermind the appalling shoeing, the feet need a good trim and rebalancing too! The heels look way too long and I wouldn't be overly happy with the shape of the foot either.

If it was my pony, I would be getting a farrier out to get those shoes off and give them a good trim as a starting point and take his advice from there.

Well done for getting your pony back! :)

Ditto this!