rubbish feet! any suggestions?

TarantuLove

Visit site
My boy has appauling feet (he is barefoot and will stay that way due to arthritis problems) he is fed a vit and min supplement, but is there anything specifically for feet I can feed him on top?

misterjinglejay

Visit site
My old farrier used to swear by a sachet of powdered gellatine in the feed once a day.

Over time with my lad it really worked, and other people who've tried it, say the same thing. Worth a go.

Kevin Bacon Hoof ointment is fantastic, and honey is great for white line disease if your horse has this.

Anything you try takes forever - stick with it.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
What is he fed at the moment?

A simple, molasses free diet is the best thing to feed for good quality feet - something like fast fibre or speedibeet plus an unmolassed chop and micronised linseed. The best supplements to add are seaweed, brewer's yeast and magnesium oxide.

Environment is also crucial to good feet - what's his turnout like? It's important to get the feet moving but also not in wet or mud 24/7. Is he in work? Work on varied surfaces but especially hard surfaces will produce a better quality of horn growth.

Does he get regular trims? For the barefoot horse four/five weekly trims including a good mustang roll will keep the feet in optimum condition.

Hope that helps a bit!

dany

Visit site
Have you heard of Equicast? its a carbon fibre wrap for the feet. It might be worth looking at the website and talking to the UK guy to see if that would help you?

I used it for 6 months when my boy couldnt keep shoes on due to having really poor feet, slightly different to your case but its worth a look maybe?

bedbug

Visit site
We were told by a farrier (of the old school and been around for many years) biotin and limestone flour.

We can actually see the difference in the growth from when we started feeding it. It does take about 6 months to grow through but that will be the same for anything you add.

CBFan

Visit site
Seaweed is suposed to be a good supplement for feet... and I have heard that limestone flour is another good one...

I swear by Kevin Bacon hoof dressing applied right up and over the corronet band for promoting and maintaining healthy hoof growth and keratex hoof hardner applied to sole and lower wall as directed on the bottle to prevent wear...

tashpritty

Visit site
biotin, farriers formula

and those jelly cubes you can buy think there 12 sqaures that you break up and put in boiling water to make jelly?

feed 1 a week raw/un meltes... but of course noting the sugar content ect.

Sunflowers

Visit site
Number 1 tip -

Keep his feet really, really dry

If he's turned out a lot think about bringing him in to let them dry out for a few hours every day?

When he's in, make sure the bed is as dry as possible - be careful of the quality of deep litter in case his feet are leeching up moisture from the bed.

Carefully applied purple spray once in a while (the stuff for farm animal's feet) I have found keeps them drier and sanitised

This has made a big difference to my boy, good luck!

gryff

Visit site
I swear by seaweed and rosehips - my boy has had really awful feet in the past but since Christmas last year since I've added a spoonful of this to his meals, they've improved miraculously, much more than when I reied formula 4 feet and farriers formula - oh, and an excellent farrier of course!

babymare

Visit site
My tb x suffered a spate of abcess after abcess 2 yrs ago - he has really bad front feet but I have been feeding Dengie Healthy hoof for about 12 months now and the blacksmith has noticed a real improvement in his hoof condition - It contains Biotin - plus his coat looks great - I also feed it to my welsh D mare who is a very good doer as it is low starch and sugar and recognised by Laminitic trust and her coat looks great to