Ruby Walsh retires

Visit site
Well a few more horses will get over the last fence now! Owners and trainers are finally realising there are far better jockeys out there! Plus he has had so many injuries he is lucky to be able to walk away.

bonny

Visit site
Well a few more horses will get over the last fence now! Owners and trainers are finally realising there are far better jockeys out there! Plus he has had so many injuries he is lucky to be able to walk away.
That’s complete rubbish and a nasty thing to say after he retires, I think he’s one of the best jockeys we’ve seen and I’ll miss him riding next season. Pleased he went out on a high.

Visit site
How many times has he fallen at the last when all he needed to do was pop it?

The Mares Hurdle at Cheltenham this year for a start -4 lengths clear, sends it rather than pops it and ends up on the deck! Annie Power springs to mind too!

I've also said the same many times over the years, not just because he has now retired.

bonny

Visit site

The Mares Hurdle at Cheltenham this year for a start -4 lengths clear, sends it rather than pops it and ends up on the deck! Annie Power springs to mind too!
What about his 2500 victories including 59 at Cheltenham ? You are talking rubbish or do you really believe you know more than Paul Nichols and Willie Mullins ?

Chiffy

Visit site
Not my favourite jockey either, I am afraid! Nothing to do with last fences though.
This is probably not the moment to discuss him in a negative way, but to wish him well in the future. Just hope he doesn’t join the presenting team though!

KautoStar1

Visit site
Simply the best jockey of his generation. And possibly ever. Such style and elegance on a horse, great hands and seat. I'd love to see him ride in another discipline. A genuinely great horseman.

Possibly a prickly character at times but understandable given the dangers jump jockeys face. Or maybe he just doesn't suffer fools. And there are plenty about.

Going to miss seeing him ride.

Clodagh

Visit site
His interview with RTV was really good, he was absolutely light hearted! I think, love him or hate him, he was so driven to win that it made him come across as morose.
Him and AP will indeed be good to see. Not that they will be working for the same channel.
I think he had an amazing sense of timing and balance, but the will to win made the extra kick into the last fence too much sometimes. Look at AP on Denman for another example of that.
Him and Noel Fehily will be sorely missed for their hands and ability.

KautoStar1

Visit site
His interview with RTV was really good, he was absolutely light hearted! I think, love him or hate him, he was so driven to win that it made him come across as morose.
Him and AP will indeed be good to see. Not that they will be working for the same channel.
I think he had an amazing sense of timing and balance, but the will to win made the extra kick into the last fence too much sometimes. Look at AP on Denman for another example of that.
Him and Noel Fehily will be sorely missed for their hands and ability.

I dont think he was morose as such, perhaps aware of the seriousness of his sport and his fragile position on a daily basis. everyone says he's a super smart intelligent man who says it how it is and doesnt suffer fools. Some of the nonsense written about him on social medial has been unbelievable. People who've never ridden and have no idea of the dangers involved, but they've lost their 50p bet so they think that gives them the right to pass judgement. Underneath that tough exterior is a cheeky humour. I hope we get to see more of that now he wont be followed round by an ambulance.

His last fence falls are interesting too. yes he's had his fair share, but he's challenging for the win more times than most of the jockeys. And its hard to see how any of those falls have actually been jockey errors if you actually study them closely. I think they've been picked up and over analysed by the social medial trolls. He's the master of getting horses to fences in the right pace and then letting them jump for themselves without interfering too much.

Pretty much everyone in the game has said he's the best NH jockey ever. And when the industry speaks in one voice like that, its probably true.

bonny

Visit site
He says he wants a career in the media and I’m sure he will be successful doing that, his knowledge is second to non and I think he comes over really well on camera. Won’t be the same watching racing without him riding but everything moves on and no one can raceride forever. The numpties who made somesomething of his last jump falls are just that !

Visit site
I never once said he was a bad jockey i just said there are better jockeys than him around these days! I am sure he will be missed by many and each to their own.

Noel Fehily was a very underrated jockey. He deserved far more success than he got. Very sympathetic and got horses jumping confidently that would worry with others.

It will be interesting seeing them all on tv though I expect Walsh will take over from his father in a few years time. McCoy has some breakers in, whether he takes out his licence or not who knows.

Clodagh

Visit site
It is AP retiring who really changed my following of racing, he was a great jockey to watch. I don't watch the Irish racing (apart from Punchestown a bit) so won't notice Ruby not being there, only Cheltenham and Aintree.

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site

I've also said the same many times over the years, not just because he has now retired.
i must say i truly hate seeing the over riding of the last fence at a moment when the horse is most vulnerable, to interfere before the take off is taboo, its a dirty trick in my book, gains absolutely nothing and can lose the race, and can distract and unsettle a horse completely

saw it happen at cheltenham

bonny

Visit site
i must say i truly hate seeing the over riding of the last fence at a moment when the horse is most vulnerable, to interfere before the take off is taboo, its a dirty trick in my book, gains absolutely nothing and can lose the race, and can distract and unsettle a horse completely

Another armchair jockey !

bonny

Visit site
Almost universally among the people who count in racing ruby Walsh is considered the best jockey of his generation, can’t we just leave it there ?

Clodagh

Visit site
Almost universally among the people who count in racing ruby Walsh is considered the best jockey of his generation, can’t we just leave it there ?

I didn't think we were talking about him specifically, I assumed it was a general post? Perhaps not. Anyway, I doubt he will read HHO and get upset. He was an amazing rider, that is for sure.

bonny

Visit site
I didn't think we were talking about him specifically, I assumed it was a general post? Perhaps not. Anyway, I doubt he will read HHO and get upset. He was an amazing rider, that is for sure.
It is titled ruby Walsh retires !

Clodagh

Visit site

I thought Tristar was talking generally, and replied as such. Anyway, I will leave you to your superior knowledge and obviously discussion boards are wasted on you. 'Bonny says' might be a better title than HHO?

Orangehorse

Visit site
So glad that he has retired in one piece, as he has had some terrible injuries. A great way for him to go and at his favourite racecourse.
He's had a wonderful career, including all those Cheltenham winners and been associated with really great horses. He will be missed but the very best of luck to him in the future.

Clodagh

Visit site
So glad that he has retired in one piece, as he has had some terrible injuries. A great way for him to go and at his favourite racecourse.
He's had a wonderful career, including all those Cheltenham winners and been associated with really great horses. He will be missed but the very best of luck to him in the future.

If you look at the list of horses he has won on it is like a who' who of great steeplechasers over the last 20 years. An amazing list!