Rug brands for deep chested, broad horses?

Breez

Visit site
Question as per title, really! My boy looks to be Shire x or along those lines. 4yo so still growing, but every rug we put on him looks like a mini skirt and is tight around his chest. Any suggestions on the best fitting brands for these types? Ideally that don't break the bank as I know he'll outgrow them...

Any suggestions appreciated :)

old hand

Visit site
Premier Equine much bigger round the chest fits my monster warmblood. he wears everything on the last holes and burst a 7ft 3ins Rambo. the plus range of amigo are very big around the chest too. weatherbeeta just the wrong shape for him. he is very square across his chest and all breastplates are too small , can you borrow rugs to try rather than waste money on ones that don't fit?

Kikke

Visit site
amigo XL, made for the bigger horse and fits our deep chested, very broad, big belgian draft very well. No mini skirts for him anymore :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Second the Amigo XL really nice and broad in the chest

A third vote from me. It's the only make that fits my cob's shoulders. Have been disappointed with the Big Horse Shop with a couple of their rugs. The L/W turnout wasn't breathable and the fit/quality was poor. In fairness, it was 3 years ago so they might be better now possibly?

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
A vote for Weatherbeeta - the freestyle/ original ones, not the Genero without shoulder gusset. i find they fit my very broad cob and highland really well, and i like the adjustability on the chest straps better than the amigo xl chest fastenings :)

alainax

Visit site
Weatherbeeta freestyle are great! Really fabulous quality rugs, and fits my huge shoulderd & neck Friesian well. They have special pads to take pressure off the withers too, and I particularly like the padded V on the chest, meaning they are not getting chocked when grazing!

For length though the Amigo XLs are good. Really deeply cut around the body, and fit ok on the shoulders. Just not quite as nice as the weatherbeetas though.

I found the PE way too small and totally the wrong shape for my boy. Super tight across the shoulders, and the neck opening was completely in the wrong place ( were fine on my large ID, but wrong for the friesian).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I spoke at length, to the Big Horse Rug Company at HOY's and had a look at the rugs. I was quite impressed and can see their point when they showed me the very different shape/cut of their rugs.

They told me a normal branded rug at for instance 6'9" would be a 6'6" in their rugs because of the cut across the hip and shoulder. Price wise they were competitive and rather than sell me one there and then they asked me to take specific measurements and come back the next day which I thought was very fair. We were there on competitor passes so unable to return but I would buy over the internet

The only rug I have found to fit my extremely deep maxi cob is Shires Highlander.

tractor

Visit site
I have a 17.1 Oldenburg x ID, he's currently wearing a Derby House rug - it fits him really well and us a cheaper (but still well made) option if yours is still growing.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Just bought a Shires Tempest for my sec D after 3 years of slightly-too-snug Amigos, Mastas and Weatherbeetas. By far the best fit, roomy across the chest and frees up her shoulders. The neckline fits where it should too.