Rug dilema!

Stormhillpilgrim

Visit site
Good afternoon all, quick question about rugs and sizing. :)]

I am in the process of purchasing a new horse and am wondering if all the gubbins I have from my previous horse are likely to fit him.

Old ponio was in 7ft rugs and this one wears 6'9. Do you think I will get away with it as he comes with nothing and I already have a rather extensive horse wardrobe, just all in 7ft?

Thank you.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It's definitely worth a try before getting rid of old stuff and buying new!
My old horse wore 6'3 rugs and daughters new horse 6' so I stupidly sold some really good rugs before bringing him home only to find actually they were fine!

Annagain

Visit site
There's no harm in trying it on him when he arrives. It could be his 6'9" rugs are a brand that make them a bit bigger so he'd fit in a 7' of a brand that coomes up a bit smaller. As long as they're not too big round the neck and shoulders, having them a bit long at the back wouldn't hurt.

Stormhillpilgrim

Visit site
Tallyho - Ha ha ha, trust me if I had the funds I'd be in a shopping frenzy right now but, really can't afford to go buying all new stuff. I'm very lucky that he wears the same size saddle!

Annagain - They are all horseware rugs, mostly amigos I think. Not sure if they tend to be generous or not? I know when I bought the last horse, his previous owners said he was in 6'9 for some and 7 for others. At the time I had the pennies to buy him a new wardrobe so bought all 7ft.

I will definitely try them all, am hoping they do fit as some are in almost new condition. Hoping all the boots also fit lol. :)

Thanks guys.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm sure you'll be fine. Better slightly too big than too small. Also, as someone has said, different brands make them different sizes. For example I always have to buy a size larger in Derby House turnout rugs than other brands.

NellRosk

Visit site
They'll be fine! If they're slightly bigger it's easier to fit more rugs underneath as well when it gets really cold. And I'm certain your boots will fit too :)

Annagain

Visit site
Tallyho - Ha ha ha, trust me if I had the funds I'd be in a shopping frenzy right now but, really can't afford to go buying all new stuff. I'm very lucky that he wears the same size saddle!

Annagain - They are all horseware rugs, mostly amigos I think. Not sure if they tend to be generous or not? I know when I bought the last horse, his previous owners said he was in 6'9 for some and 7 for others. At the time I had the pennies to buy him a new wardrobe so bought all 7ft.

I will definitely try them all, am hoping they do fit as some are in almost new condition. Hoping all the boots also fit lol. :)

Thanks guys.

I think you'll be fine. My share horse has 6'9" Fal rugs and a 7' Rambo and they fit pretty much the same, so I'd say the Horseware tend to be a bit smaller than some other brands.

Auslander

Visit site
Amigo's tend to be on the small side - I have a 6"9 for Alf, which is ok on him, but a tiny bit snugger than i'd like -wish I'd bought 7ft. Definitely worth trying on before going shopping!

flirtygerty

Visit site
Try before you buy, I have a 15 2, 16 3 and a 17 1hh, various makes of rugs, but all three are in 6' 9" rugs, th 17 1hh TB is the worst to fit for as he has high withers, all the rugs are name marked or colour coded, saving huge amounts of time rugging up

elliejhb

Visit site
My horse is 16hh and wears 6'9 rugs, although tempted to get some 7'0 as some are a little too snug and his belly shows! His amigo fits great though?! Think it's a case of try and see as different manufacturers (or even the same!) come out different at the same size.

Embo

Visit site
OP, if yours are no good, I've still got my last horse's rugs... all 6'9'' lol and need selling! *nudgenudgewinkwink*