Rug fit question

Caol Ila

Visit site
There is a 100g Horsewear Rhino rug on sale at 5'9. I have been searching for a 100g rug because I don't have one in my collection. I ended up with a 200g Gallop Trojan for those -8C days because I had to buy it quickly at the local tack store, and that's all they had in her size. It rubs her shoulders so it has to be sold.

Hermosa currently wears a no-fill and a 50g Amigo Hero with the disc closure. Both in 5'9. She filled out a lot between last winter and this winter but amazingly, they still fit. I don't know how much more she is likely to grow.

Is another 5'9 Horsewear rug worth the risk?

Do the Rhinos have a similar fit to the Amigos?

A glass of wine for the correct answer.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How tall is she? 5" 9 just sounds small to me

Even my Arabi who is barely 15h is 6ft he is quite chunky for an Arab I do find if the rug is too short it makes them tight round the shoulder and his will rub.

Might be worth going up a size maybe try a few.

I find Amigo small they just don't fit either of mine too tight at the front.

SEL

Visit site
My 14h 5yo cob is in 5'9" so that does sound a bit small. He's expanded out of his 5'6" this year - mainly across his chest.

I'd probably pop up a size if you can

JackFrost

Visit site
I use a 5'9 rhino on a 13.2 medium build short backed, ring and two clips front closure. Agree go up a size.
v waterproof.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We have the 100g Rhino, it’s a great rug! I’ve been using it with the liners and so far loving it. We also have the amigo rugs and yes similar fit. We have the Rhino with the ring and 2 clips, rather than the disk closure one. Ours is 5ft 6 in all her rugs, the Rhino is 5ft 6 and fits perfectly x

Widgeon

Visit site
My 14h 5yo cob is in 5'9" so that does sound a bit small. He's expanded out of his 5'6" this year - mainly across his chest.

I'd probably pop up a size if you can

I was going to say, depends on her shoulders! If you think there's any chance she'll fill out more I'd go up a size and then you know you're future proofed.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I find Rhinos on the less roomy end of rugs. They seem come up a bit shorter than some rugs.

Was just about to say this. My last PRE could do the Rambo just fine and the Amigo, but Rhino's often looked like a mini skirt on him or were too snug elsewhere. All were the same size (6'3).

Current 2 year old PRE should be able to move into my 6'3 collection by the end of the winter. He can wear the next size smaller and it fits alright. I'd like him to stay 6'3 because I have many, many, rugs in that size. So naturally he will finish at 6'6 🤣

P.forpony

Visit site
When I got my 16.1 tb he went straight into the 14.1 Connie's 5'9 rhino.
2 years later he's still 16.1 but now in a 6'3 of exactly the same rug.
Filling out makes a big difference. But the Rhino 100gs are still worth it every time 😊

First Frost

Visit site
My 15.1 Connie X Tb wears a 6ft Rhino.
It fits him really well, but the same rug in a 6ft 3 is too tight across the chest for my pure Connie he does better in a Rambo.

Nari

Visit site
My cob is fairly substantial and generally I buy the Big Horse broad fit rugs for him now, but he has a Rhino in the same size and it just about fits - Amigos don't even come close on him. Yes the Rhino is a bit snug and could be a bit deeper but it's usable, so if your horse is a more standard shape then I'd say go for it.

Caol Ila

Visit site
After faffing around on the web, it turns out that the rug advertised as a Rhino is in fact an Amigo Bravo. Not keen on dodgy sellers. But I like the rug.

Looking at many other people's threads, it seems that 5 year old horses are quite likely to grow some more. I think I will apply Dottylottie's code and get a 6' one directly from Horseware. Her 5'9 ones are fine at this second, but on the edge. If she grows at all, they won't be fine.

So I have bought an Amigo Bravo 6' one. Thanks Dottielottie!

atropa

Visit site
I would go for 6ft if possible but also I wouldn't be panicking about anything suitable for -8 until around Jan/Feb time in these parts

Caol Ila

Visit site
It's already hitting -3. God love you, climate change.

I might buy those horsey crampons by the end of the week. Mugdock was walkable today... just. With care. It was very helpful to have foot soldier/husband to tell us if any bit of ground was exceptionally dodgy, but I don't get his foot soldiering services on weekdays.

If this is heralding what the winters gonnae be like..............

MissTyc

Visit site
I like the Amigo Bravo range. My horses range from 5ft9 to 6ft3 rugs, so I buy all Amigo 6fts and everyone shares and no one gets any rubs even if the baby looks like he's wearing a miniskirt. He's only 5.5yrs and likely to finish in 6ft6, so he doesn't get anything of his own just yet!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
How tall is she? 5" 9 just sounds small to me

Even my Arabi who is barely 15h is 6ft he is quite chunky for an Arab I do find if the rug is too short it makes them tight round the shoulder and his will rub.

Might be worth going up a size maybe try a few.

I find Amigo small they just don't fit either of mine too tight at the front.
same here rhino etc are useless on my ID mare, Amigo leak within months , HY also come up small, Gallop are the only ones that fit and don't rub.

Remember you should always go up a size for turnout rugs.

little_critter

Visit site
I tend to find there’s a bit of wriggle room. My 14.1hh native type mare can wear a 5’9” (a bit snug), a 6’ fits nicely and if I don’t have a suitable rug in 6’ she can also pinch my 16.1 TBs 6’3” rug. The 6’3” doesn’t swamp her.
So I’d say if in doubt, go up a size.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
same here rhino etc are useless on my ID mare, Amigo leak within months , HY also come up small, Gallop are the only ones that fit and don't rub.

Remember you should always go up a size for turnout rugs.
I bought an Amigo for Arabi years ago and it was always hanging on one side and just didn't fit, I only buy weatherbeeta and shires rugs now really I find they fit mine the best.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I tend to find there’s a bit of wriggle room. My 14.1hh native type mare can wear a 5’9” (a bit snug), a 6’ fits nicely and if I don’t have a suitable rug in 6’ she can also pinch my 16.1 TBs 6’3” rug. The 6’3” doesn’t swamp her.
So I’d say if in doubt, go up a size.
Thats a bit like mine Arabi can wear Louis 6' 3 and Louis can squeeze into his 6ft if really necessary 😊

atropa

Visit site
It's already hitting -3. God love you, climate change.

I might buy those horsey crampons by the end of the week. Mugdock was walkable today... just. With care. It was very helpful to have foot soldier/husband to tell us if any bit of ground was exceptionally dodgy, but I don't get his foot soldiering services on weekdays.

If this is heralding what the winters gonnae be like..............
Just came back here to say I apologise, I jinxed us! Today was horrible and blooming freezing 😖

SEL

Visit site
Baby cob got a new 5'9" Swish last winter. 50g with liners. I used it last night and thought I'd got it caught on something because it wasn't doing up well.

Not caught. It's either shrunk around the chest or he's started growing into those cob genes 🙄 He'd be dwarfed in 6' though.