Rug for young horse!

J1993

Visit site
Not sure what rug to buy for my 2 year old. She's never worn a rug (apart from her getting used to having them on) and I want one for this winter just to keep her dry on a wet day. So around 100g. I struggle to find ones that don't sink too low over her shoulder and don't want to spend over £60 as it's for only a few months use and she will grow out of it! Any brands i should be looking for that come higher on the shoulders?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Shires do a 100g rug so do gallop which are really cheap mine were £35 each and have lasted really well and they fit mine quite well around the shoulder although neither of mine are very narrow, I will say they come up big so I would order a size down especially for a youngster that will be on the narrow side.

Duke

Visit site
i use shires for my 2 year old. They fit him well and are very reasonably priced. He is quite broad for a baby and i do need to tie the surcingles up because they are still just a tad too long for him. i got a rainsheet and 100g from rideaway quite recently and it was only £65 for both of them. If he needs anything warmer this winter he has a m/w hand me down premier equine that fits nicely too.

pippixox

Visit site
Second hand for sure
But personally it’s not the end of the world with a youngster loses a tiny bit of weight in the cold. I don’t even see the thin skinned baby thourougbreds near me get rugged

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Derby house were excellent for my youngster last year. She had a no fill rain sheet and I think it was only £20 with a voucher code. It was waterproof and very nice, she's outgrown it now but it was easy to adjust in the front for a narrow chest and didn't rip or tear.
Gallop are good too, I've stocked up on three of them for the upcoming winter. Cheap and last well :)

J1993

Visit site
Her last two winters were unrugged and last year I wasn't happy with her condition, will do her no harm to have a rug on when it rains and is windy and cold. She is already tall and gangly and is just right condition wise, so want to help her out to stay warm! I do appreciate peoples opinion though so thanks :)

Happy for second hand i've just struggled to find one that doesn't hang too low on her chest, ive tried shires but they were too low, not tried the others that have been mentioned, I have a list of the makes that dont fit!! Hope she doesn't stay too narrow !

dizzyneddy

Visit site
l bought my youngster a rhinegold rug although l’d never used them before l didn’t want to pay out on a really good rug incase she was a rug wrecker. Apart from that she was on the slender side so it was a nightmare finding a suitable fit. l was presently surprised it fitted her well & found that it was decent rug it kept her warm & dry for two winters before outgrowing it. She now as a john whitaker rug for the coming winter once she’s clipped. She’s native breed so didn’t really need rugging as such but at the end of the day they need to learn to get used to wearing rugs & l’d rather teach them at a young age than when they are older.
l also bought a rhinegold lightweight rug for my ISH (who is so good with rugs that she normally only wears rambo rugs) as she only wears it in autumn & spring it’s kept her snug on the chilly days. So they are value for money when you have a young growing horse. The only type of their rugs l won’t use are the fly rugs as they are rubbish they can rub at the shoulder badly which hasn’t happened with the turnout rugs.
l’m not impressed with rugs like shires as l find you can get a better make of rug for the same or similar price. Sometimes you can pick a brand new rug or near new rug in good condition for a good price if you look hard enough hope you find a decent rug soon.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I agree that Shires aren't priced as competitively these days.

I just bought a LW Derby House rug for £29 which I'm really impressed with. Their are a few 'cheap as chips' type brands on ebay these days though I've not been brave enough to try them yet!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Her last two winters were unrugged and last year I wasn't happy with her condition, will do her no harm to have a rug on when it rains and is windy and cold. She is already tall and gangly and is just right condition wise, so want to help her out to stay warm! I do appreciate peoples opinion though so thanks :)

Happy for second hand i've just struggled to find one that doesn't hang too low on her chest, ive tried shires but they were too low, not tried the others that have been mentioned, I have a list of the makes that dont fit!! Hope she doesn't stay too narrow !

I totally understand that my 2 year old Arab was rugged in winter as he lived out overnight and I struggled to keep any sort of weight on him if he was cold, he was serious rug wrecker as well so he got cheap or second hand rugs when he was a baby.

I found going a size smaller can help with the front fitting it might be a bit short on the bum but the front will not hang down as much, I have a well used amigo which doesn't fit either of mine but it is well used I think it's a 5'9 I can send it to you if it would be any good I don't want any money for it.

Last edited:

J1993

Visit site
I totally understand that my 2 year old Arab was rugged in winter as he lived out overnight and I struggled to keep any sort of weight on him if he was cold, he was serious rug wrecker as well so he got cheap or second hand rugs when he was a baby.

I found going a size smaller can help with the front fitting it might be a bit short on the bum but the front will not hang down as much, I have a well used amigo which doesn't fit either of mine but it is well used I think it's a 5'9 I can send it to you if it would be any good I don't want any money for it.

That is so kind of you. If you pm me the postage I will send you it via paypal! She is between 5ft9 and 6. Unless you are in Lancashire I can pick up haha! If it doesn't fit I will donate it to my local rescue as they are always looking for rugs x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That is so kind of you. If you pm me the postage I will send you it via paypal! She is between 5ft9 and 6. Unless you are in Lancashire I can pick up haha! If it doesn't fit I will donate it to my local rescue as they are always looking for rugs x

Not in Lancashire if you pm me your address I will do it on Monday, did you want a picture of it before I send it ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have just looked at it and it says 6ft but it is small as one of my horses fits in some 5'9 and 6ft but it's too small around the chest for him, and it says 200g but it's not as thick or heavy as my other 200g rugs.

It's old but even if it does to this year save you buying too many.

J1993

Visit site
No you dont need to send me a picture as long as it fits then it will be fine! Again, thank you so much you are so kind! I have sent you my address, let me know postage so I can send it on to you.

:)