Rug nightmare

frazzled

Visit site
I am having a real problem with rugs pulling back on our horse. Every make I have tried do this on him. Through the winter was manageable as he always wore a neck rug but even these slip back. He is currently having a two week holiday because of soreness in his shoulders and back. His saddle has been recently checked and I trust my saddler so don't think this is the issue.Seen by physio today and seen regularly. So can anyone recommend rugs that alleviate this? He does not have particularly big shoulders or anything, just seems to be an awkward fit.

alainax

Visit site
Do you have a picture of him? Or what breed/type is he?

I have a Friesian who is a tough fit. I found the Amigo XL are nice, give the extra bit of space needed. The weatherbeeta freestyle are the best. They have a padded wither gaurd, cut in a long triangle shape, which takes the pressure off the withers. At the front they have a deep V cut, to allow grazing without pulling down on the back, which is also padded in the same way.

The other common brands such as Premier Equine, masta, Rambo, etc were all a mile off. But each horse is so different in their needs.

Can he be without a rug if they are causing him extra pain?

frazzled

Visit site
He is a 16hh Irish sports horse, very fit and well muscled but not chunky. He isn't wearing any rugs atm and I only put them on him when necessary but can't avoid it all the time.

wkiwi

Visit site
I find the ones with a gusset in the shoulder area to be much better than the ones without. Don't know if this will help your boy, but maybe you could borrow one to try if you haven't already tried one (or get a friendly rug person to put a gusset in, but they have to know where to place it).

Micropony

Visit site
I found the Rambo Optimo quite good for this. The deep split does seem to make the back and front independent so the rug doesn't slip back so much and stays where you put it. I only had the stable rug so can't vouch for the turnout. Not a wide choice of different weights though, and an expensive experiment if they don't suit your horse. Could you find one second hand?

Shay

Visit site
I have a chunky cob whose rugs will slip back slightly simply because of the need to accommodate the width of his chest. A bossy bib has been an absolute godsend in protection. I have no idea why it works - it just does. He used to get sore from the pressure of the rug rather than rubbed by it - especially in winter when he has to be heavily rugged as he is clipped out to hunt. I suppose the slick fabric stops the rug "sticking" to the hair and allows it to work its way forwards from time to time - but that is just a theory. All I know for certain is they worked for us!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I have an awkward fit british sports horse, she sits between 6'6 and 6'9 in rug size, all rugs Iv tried so far slide back on her shoulders but tried premier equine in the 6'6 and it fits brilliantly although I will have to have 6'9 liners as they come ups all but the outers come up big!

whizzer

Visit site
My horse is difficult to rug, everything slips back,rubs or just looks really tight & uncomfortable. I find horseware rugs fit really well,any of them from amigos,rhinos & especially Rambo with the v-front closure seem to suit him. I've got a bucas lightweight that's also a good fit,it's darted & shaped around the neck & sits really well on him.

DoesDressage

Visit site
I have a 16hh irish sports horse. Not chunky with well built, muscled and a strong neck. Weatherbetta detach-a-necks work really well for her. They are well cut and don't rub