Rug reccomendations (sorry)

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Sorry to bring up a wintery subject, but I'm looking for turnout recommendations for winter so I can be prepared.

Last winter my girl arrived in November and went naked for most of the winter as she was unbacked and turned away. Now she's in work and will be clipped this winter to avoid the wooly mammoth coat she grew last year.

She's a cob so is quiet warm so really just needs a sheet or a 50 gram fill, 100g max. I can't find any 50g rugs and everything seems to be only 600 denier, which I don't remember being particularly waterproof.

I've not bought rugs for a few years now, so what good quality turnouts does everyone recommend? Healthy ish budget but don't want to spend over about £80 really as she's growing and I know she will have outgrown everything after one winter. She lives out 24/7 on an exposed hillside, has various shelters but doesn't use them.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
Mine have Weatberbeeta 100g rugs. They are perfectly waterproof even in heavy rain and hard wearing. I’ve just bought a 100g for my pony from Ruggles (they also do big sizes) and that’s a lot of rug for the money and also waterproof.

gingerfan

Visit site
Your can'[t beat Horseware rugs for value and longevity. As she's still growing I would look at the Amigo range for now. They all take liners so you can increase/decrease the filling. Once she is fully made up the Rambo ones are brilliant. Pricey but well worth it and last for ever.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Thank you both :) she had a horsware mio last year but sadly it didn't last long as it seemed to tear and rip very easily. Weatherbeeta look lovely so I may try them :)

Weesielou

Visit site
Depending on how broad she is she may fit into the heavy horse shop rugs and I find them really great and hate wearing however I have a very broad mare and they are the only brand that fit her so thank god they are good rugs ☺

SEL

Visit site
I have a part bred draft who has a 50g Swish rug that fits well and took a battering last year. She's also got 100g from Ruggles. The full draft does ok in the Shires Highlander range which are cut wide - but I only have a rainsheet for him.

Griffin

Visit site
Another vote for Ruggles. My chunky mare has a 50g fill Shires and we have never had any problems with leakage, despite torrential conditions last year.

TGM

Visit site
Have a look at the Maxima Equestrian website - all their turnouts are 1200 denier and reasonably priced. They are a good fit for cobs and have very adjustable front fastenings which is useful for wide chests. They do no fill turnouts and they also do 100g under rugs that might suit your purposes.

henmother

Visit site
Horseware mio lasted a matter of hours on my horse :( His best field mate is an absolute horror with rugs . He does have a lovely mw shires which fits beautifully and seems tough enough , it's lasted a few years. I don't use combos anymore , think he gets too hot in them despite being clipped . snuggy hoods are good for colder days , or if you're trying to keep horse clean . I used to have a real rug addiction, hated seeing him up to the eyes in clarts . I treated him (me) to a Christmas themed Derby house rug a few years back and they are a nice fit although not sure the denier is particularly high but they are reasonably priced.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Ruggles are quiet good, the 50g fill feels more like a 100g though IMO. Swift are quiet good also. Rachael Kelly equestrian do some lovely ones 50g and 100g. Ive recently added a 50g Shires tempest rug to my collection which stood really well in the heavy rain earlier in the year, only 600 denier but i was really impressed with how waterproof it was.

I wish Rambo would bring out a 50g!

JJS

Visit site
All of mine have Shires rugs. They seem to fit everything and even the lighter options stay waterproof whatever the weather.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Thank you all, so many great suggestions :) she's not particularly wide for a cob so should fit standard rugs. Going to look at weatherbeeta and shires online properly when I'm home from work :)