Rug recommendations for 'solid' horses, please?

rainni_day

Visit site
I have a 16.3HH Irish sports mare who is a fairly solid, '1 leg in each corner' type. I find that her regular rug size of 6'9" can sometimes look like mini skirts, but the 7' are too big on her. Can anyone recommend a brand of turnout and stable rug that is made for a wider horse, please? Thank you x

NeverSurrender

Visit site
Mine (Cleveland Bay) can be a bit like this and my go-to are currently Shires, and Bridleway.

His fleece is an Equidor though, cheap and chips and a really nice fit on him for the price! I was impressed.

SaddlepadHoarder

Visit site
I've always found Gallop and Weatherbeeta quite good but you might want to see if you can borrow off of a friend to see first as some of my friends wider horses didn't fit in them

Nasicus

Visit site
definatley ruggles they have do rugs for bigger horses- really great fit.
I like Ruggles too, they would fit my old tank of a cob really well. She was only 14hh but was in a 6'3 because she was built like a brick outhouse.
I still use Ruggles now, although I will say my last no-fill one leaked the first time she wore it. I didn't return it as I had bought it a year prior in their clearance sales, but it was odd as it was exactly the same one my old cob had (down to the red diamond pattern haha) just in 6ft instead, the cobs one is still waterproof despite having been worn a lot.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have an ISH who wears 6'9" rugs and Rhinos fit him beautifully. There's enough room for muscled shoulders and they don't throttle him when he's grazing.Rambo Optimo is a little more generous without being as large as the Amigo XL, which is really designed for heavy horses.

Starzaan

Visit site
Weatherbeeta every time - if your horse is chunky then go for their rugs with the freedom system as they’re a wider cut.

Auslander

Visit site
Alf got a Premier Equine for XMas. He's a 6"9/7ft in most brands, but the PE is 6"6, fits him beautifully, with plenty of shoulder room, and isn't as heavy as the older ones used to be. I love it!
BIt peeved that he plastered it in mud within minutes of putting it on him!
81209600_10159001139035730_6055783014095388672_o.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You would have to look a long way to find anything chunkier than my Westphalian Draft mare - built like an Ardenns but bigger! - Gallop fitted her very well.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
Another vote for Gallop or Weatherbeeta - my 13hh (on a good day!) chunk fits their 5'6 beautifully. Maxima are also very good and fit well.

doodle

Visit site
Premier equine or shires. He has a Saxon 300 gem turnout which is fine but I just bought a Saxon stable rug which is far too shallow.

SpottyMare

Visit site
Weatherbeeta, Shires and Ruggles. Premier Equine were terrible on both my 2 who seem to be on the large side in the shoulder department - the PE rugs were stretched skin tight on the shoulders, much to my disappointment.