Rug recommendations

C1airey

Visit site
What am I going to put on my wee Dales mare this winter? She isn’t going to need more than a rain sheet, so am happy to spend as I won’t be buying zillions in different weights, just two (so I can have one at the cleaners and one on her).

She’s as stacked as you’d expect for her breed, so high shoulder gussets a bonus. My worry is that at 14.1hh, all the horse-sized rugs will be down past her knees. I reckon she’ll need a 6’3”, maybe 6’0” if a generous cut. PE? Rambo Optimo? Any others?

Pippity

Visit site
Maxima Equestrian. Really good prices, high-denier fabric, and a really good cut for the chunkier type. They aren't the most generous cut - mine's in a 6'3" in Maxima and a 6'0" in Big Horse Shop.

TPO

Visit site
I've got Shires Tempest L/W rainsheets for my QH and really rate them.

Fat Cob (very closely related to a hippo) has a cheap Derby House LW that he us o ly allowed when its end of the world weather and its scoped really well.

Neurotic TB has big shoulders but isnt wide and Bridleway LW fits him really well.

I really like Weatherbeeta too and theyve fitted the QHs really well

HG95

Visit site
I really rate ruggles horse rugs. Much higher denier than most of the big named brands I find them a good price and they last a long while

Pippity

Visit site
I really rate ruggles horse rugs. Much higher denier than most of the big named brands I find them a good price and they last a long while

I tried a Ruggles for my big-shouldered cob, and it was far too tight. Ended up selling it to a friend for his Arab, who normally wears a rug two sizes smaller.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Another vote for Shires Tempest - true to size & a decent length - Madam has long legs & some rugs are like mini skirts on her. Good fit on shoulders too.

They don't budge after a serious roll either ?

C1airey

Visit site
Have ordered a LW from Maxima - for the price, and for a 1200D, it’s worth a punt.

I have both Shires and DH for my other horse and both fit him well, but he’s over two hands taller, and only one rug size up from the pony so they’ll both come up too deep for her. Bridleway will be the same.

Ruggles’ website appears to be under construction. At least, I assume that’s the ‘really cool’ thing that’s coming soon according to their webpage.

She’s pony height, but not pony length. The only rugs that I know of that are consistently shallow are the Mios but I’ve yet to see them fitting well on any horse IRL - the belly straps are too far forward so the bum always slides to one side. I think they must glue/staple them in place on the models in the pictures!

jnb

Visit site
I use PE or Weatherbeeta Comfitec Plus for my massive shouldered show cob. The WB Essentials don't fit him anywhere near as well. I like Ruggles however I found the fittings (buckles, legs straps and clips) very cheap feeling and lightweight and broke easily. Also the depth of the rugs weren't sufficient.
I'll be interested to see what you make of the Maxima, I haven't tried them but a lot of my Scottish friends swear by them. Just a bit put off by the psychedelic colours of them!

TPO

Visit site
I don't know if they do lightweight but I have a Saxon medium weight. It's the cheaper brand from the same manufacturers as WB iirc. Anyway they are slightly shallower but still true to size length wise IME.

I bought one as a "make do" when i needed a fast replacement but it was brilliant, I'm on my third now only because he kept growing. I should get another few years out of this one

C1airey

Visit site
Did wonder about WB but they vary so much between their ranges I sort of discounted them as too much hassle! I had two for my old cob: one was such a bad fit his shoulders popped out the neck hole when he walked, the other could have been made for him.

Interesting about the Saxons - there are a couple on the yard, I’ll have to have a closer look at them, thank you.

Reactions: TPO

AFB

Visit site
I'm a big fan of PE rugs atm, having given up on all the average £ rugs for leaking (Shires, WB, Amigo, JW & cheaper options) I took the plunge on 2 x PE rugs last winter and I've had a 100% dry horse underneath each time, despite that horrendously wet winter we had - they are heavy & they are expensive but they do the job they're intended to do at last!!

C1airey

Visit site
I thought I’d pop a quick update on here as rug arrived this morning and the heavens opened this afternoon.

It’s... okay. Fine depth-wise, it doesn’t look like a nightie, but I’m not wild about the neck which gapes. I’ve just been out to check her and she’s wet back to her shoulder where the rain has blown in the neck hole. I can’t tighten the front any more if I want her to be able to walk and put her head down to graze. I suppose the neck cover is the solution.

The rest of her is dry though and she’s happy, which is the aim of the game. It’s not a bank-breaking rug (if I’d spent PE money on it, I’d be miffed) and she’s a native who can cope with soggy shoulders. I’m concerned that in winter, the wet will creep along the lining and make her cold and damp all over, so this is a mild-weather rain sheet. The hunt for a vile-weather rain sheet continues...

Reactions: TPO

Pippity

Visit site
It’s... okay. Fine depth-wise, it doesn’t look like a nightie, but I’m not wild about the neck which gapes. I’ve just been out to check her and she’s wet back to her shoulder where the rain has blown in the neck hole. I can’t tighten the front any more if I want her to be able to walk and put her head down to graze. I suppose the neck cover is the solution.

I didn't think of that! Mine's hogged, so I pretty much always use the neck cover.

C1airey

Visit site
My big horse only has combos, but he has a pulled mane. She has a full mane and I think she’ll get too hot with a neck. Ordinarily, I’m the first to fire up the clippers and hog them, but not a Dales. I just couldn’t.

C1airey

Visit site
As a quick postscript to this thread, an Amigo Hero fits her nicely.

So if anyone is interested in a Maxima Equestrian rain sheet in 6’3”, let me know... ?

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Glad you've found something to fit! It's tough with native types sometimes. My 13.2 Fell mare wears a 6ft rug which feels bonkers. I've always found Rambos fit her really well and have a couple of LW Wugs which are perfect. Pretty spendy though!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't buy no fill rugs anymore they just leak so I bought 2 50g shires tempest rugs last year and I am highly impressed they have not leaked once and it did not stop raining, they also do a liner system so you can make them heavier if need be which I may do this winter, I only really tend to buy shires or weatherbeeta now I find them good value for money and they fit well.