Rug rippers

Marigold4

Visit site
My two youngish geldings (3 and 5) are having a lovely time playing together - but are trashing each other's rugs. It's mostly "knock and run" where they play bite the back of the rug and trot off. They are a very happy little herd of three so I don't want to separate them, but I'm getting fed up with cost of repairs! Are there any rugs out there that are tough enough to withstand the play biting? Any other tactics?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have a rug ripper - and I put a trash rug on top of her field companions decent rugs. Poor horse looks like a ragamuffin, but her rugs are safe, other than the top rug (which is an old school canvas turnout)

I bought a brand new under rug for mine last week and her turnout companion not only shredded the tough old top rug but has ripped the new one too ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a rug ripper - and I put a trash rug on top of her field companions decent rugs. Poor horse looks like a ragamuffin, but her rugs are safe, other than the top rug (which is an old school canvas turnout)

This is what I did but my horse also liked destroying his own rugs he would bite and pull at them until they broke, thankfully he grew out of it.

Northern Hare

Visit site
My horse went through a phase of chewing his field mate's tail. The Cribox grease would have made a bit off a mess, so we used NAF Crib Stop spray which did the trick.

I did see though that they sell Cribox in a spray and brush on format now so perhaps that would be an alternative?

Highmileagecob

Visit site
We have a tail chewer who moved on to rug ripping. Hot chilli or mustard powder mixed with vaseline and applied liberally to tails and rugs stopped both within days. It has made a bit of a greasy stain on the rugs, but at least the tail flaps are staing intact.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've ordered mine. Cheaper than a new rug each week (I exaggerate but it feels like that at the moment). I've also noticed her tail is getting a battering too. Under two tail flaps.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My rug ripper would bite his rug into pieces overnight I gave up for a while and just left him naked but he was a thin skinned fine coated Arab that struggled to put weight on as a baby, he would often be found shivering rugless in the field and the stable it was so frustrating.

I stupidly put a brand new summer sheet on him overnight once as i had bathed him for a show, next day the rug was in ten pieces scattered around the stable covered in crap.

He kind of stopped doing by the time he was 5 but he didn't like wearing second hand rugs and he will occasionally bite the front of them now and his 18 this year.