Rug Rubbing?

bea2678

Visit site
I have recently got my first pony! So far it is going really well but I think her rug is rubbing her shoulders? Ill attach some photos if I can. When I noticed that it was rubbing, I got her a shoulder vest (not sure what its called!) but that hasn't seemed to make any difference and its been a couple of weeks. The past couple of days I've also noticed that my boots must be rubbing her as well, I recently got new boots but cant figure out why they are rubbing her. Any help and advise about this would be highly highly appreciated as I'm kind of out of ideas. I don't think any of her rugs are suitable for the weather at the moment, so cant really change it (she lives out). Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1174 (1).JPG
    IMG_1174 (1).JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1173 (1).JPG
    IMG_1173 (1).JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1172 (1).JPG
    IMG_1172 (1).JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 32

JackFrost

Visit site
First two photos definitely look like rub rugging. Different makes of rug fit different horses. I expect that you can see it's a bit tight when it is on her. Try some different or bigger rugs to find a type that fits her comfortably.
Is she wearing a rug all the time ? If she isn't clipped she probably doesn't need a rug unless the weather's really bad.
If she's in good health, I wouldn't generally rug a horse of her type.

Photo 3 - I can't believe you are riding her so much (and so roughly!) that YOU have rubbed her fur off. Looks like this might also be rubbing from the surcingles (straps) on the rug. Sounds like the rug might be too tight for her.

bea2678

Visit site
First two photos definitely look like rub rugging. Different makes of rug fit different horses. I expect that you can see it's a bit tight when it is on her. Try some different or bigger rugs to find a type that fits her comfortably.
Is she wearing a rug all the time ? If she isn't clipped she probably doesn't need a rug unless the weather's really bad.
If she's in good health, I wouldn't generally rug a horse of her type.

Photo 3 - I can't believe you are riding her so much (and so roughly!) that YOU have rubbed her fur off. Looks like this might also be rubbing from the surcingles (straps) on the rug. Sounds like the rug might be too tight for her.
Thank you so much for your reply! When riding she needs hardly any leg at all so I don't think it is me! I will look at getting her some bigger rugs asap. She lives out at the moment and the weather is horrendous! She was clipped but her hairs growing back now

bea2678

Visit site
these are the only photos i have of her rug on sorry, I'll get some more tomorrow as they're probably no help at all

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 17

tatty_v

Visit site
My pony came with rug rubs on his shoulders. I found a bossy bib worked well (although it took a long time for the rub to grow out - months not weeks) but the far better solution was moving him from the 5ft9 rugs he came with to 6ft3 Bridleway ones (nice and roomy) - no rubs since!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You could try a rug expander on the front that might help, I spray my horses coat with coat shine it helps with rubs a bit, I think this time of year most horses have worn rugs for months so it's no wonder they might rub a bit.

bea2678

Visit site
My pony came with rug rubs on his shoulders. I found a bossy bib worked well (although it took a long time for the rub to grow out - months not weeks) but the far better solution was moving him from the 5ft9 rugs he came with to 6ft3 Bridleway ones (nice and roomy) - no rubs since!
I will definitely get her some new rugs then, will have to check what size her current ones are as I have no idea the lady I got her from just kinda handed them to me and said they were hers and will fit!

bea2678

Visit site
Shes about 14.2hh so would you think a 5'6 or 5'9 rug (gonna check what size this one is tomorrow as well). So sorry for all these silly questions, its the first time I've had to worry about rug sizing as before I helped with/rode other peoples horses!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Shes about 14.2hh so would you think a 5'6 or 5'9 rug (gonna check what size this one is tomorrow as well). So sorry for all these silly questions, its the first time I've had to worry about rug sizing as before I helped with/rode other peoples horses!

The rug she’s wearing should have a label inside saying what size it is. If it is as tight as it looks in the pictures then go a size up.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Firstly, lots of horse are casting their coats now, and rubs are more likely to show. We had a grey horse and at coat change time we would have to use a big towel under the saddle to protect his sides, otherwise he would look like he had been roughly ridden in spurs, when he was not ever ridden in spurs. It was only ever at coat change.

Also, when buying new rugs, I would avoid a rug with a fixed neck, especially with a heavier build. When a horse overheats, it can affect the coat (as well as being uncomfortable). My horses have detachable necks and only wear the neck when it is cold and wet. It is good for them to get some sunshine and ventilation. Fixed neck rugs are just not as flexible in their use.

Squeak

Visit site
I will definitely get her some new rugs then, will have to check what size her current ones are as I have no idea the lady I got her from just kinda handed them to me and said they were hers and will fit!

It might be worth trying a different brand as well as different ones have different shapes that suit some horses better than others.

How long have you had her and has she had the rugs on? If she's been fine in them all winter it might just be that it's her coat changing rather than the rugs being too small.

Is the rug pulled tight on her shoulders when you take them off? For me that's always the biggest giveaway that they're rubbing. To add to this - are you possibly pulling the rug back too far when you put it on and hence making it tight on her shoulders?

JackFrost

Visit site
What a lovely girl!! You must be very proud of her.

Photo 1186 - you can see that the front strap joins just above her 'armpit'. So yes, it will rub when she moves her front legs. The rug is a bit tight and just isn't quite the right shape for her (and is it REALLY her colour?? :))

I would go for one size up - normally 3 inches. Look at the label or measure it from front to back.
My 13.1 is outgrowing a 5 foot 9 inch rug. Another 13.1 is in 5 foot 6 (bit short). Another 13 h needed a 6 foot.
14 h one best fits a 6 foot. So if you can't work out what size the present one is, maybe guess at 6 foot minimum for a 14.2, depends how long she is in the back.
It doesn't matter if it's a bit loose, better this than a bit tight - they tend to stay in place if they fit well.
Perhaps you can borrow a couple to try or get 2nd hand until you know her size, then invest in a good one. There are some other recent threads on here about the best long lasting waterproof ones, the cheaper ones just seem to let in water.
The lesson I have learned - don't wash rugs.
I agree with Red1 about the fixed/detachable necks - anyway she's not the delicate sort that needs protection against every raindrop.
I have found Shires rugs to be quite roomy round the shoulders, but not so great on staying waterproof. My (very old) Weatherbeeta is tight across the chest, but then designs may change.
For as long as the weather is reasonable, let her out unclipped without a rug, just use them for very wet and windy or extremely cold - better for her. Her fur will grow through again. And you can continue to wear your lovely new boots!

Last edited:

bea2678

Visit site
Firstly, lots of horse are casting their coats now, and rubs are more likely to show. We had a grey horse and at coat change time we would have to use a big towel under the saddle to protect his sides, otherwise he would look like he had been roughly ridden in spurs, when he was not ever ridden in spurs. It was only ever at coat change.

Also, when buying new rugs, I would avoid a rug with a fixed neck, especially with a heavier build. When a horse overheats, it can affect the coat (as well as being uncomfortable). My horses have detachable necks and only wear the neck when it is cold and wet. It is good for them to get some sunshine and ventilation. Fixed neck rugs are just not as flexible in their use.
Thank you! Ill get her a rug with a detachable neck then:)

bea2678

Visit site
What a lovely girl!! You must be very proud of her.

Photo 1186 - you can see that the front strap joins just above her 'armpit'. So yes, it will rub when she moves her front legs. The rug is a bit tight and just isn't quite the right shape for her (and is it REALLY her colour?? :))

I would go for one size up - normally 3 inches. Look at the label or measure it from front to back.
My 13.1 is outgrowing a 5 foot 9 inch rug. Another 13.1 is in 5 foot 6 (bit short). Another 13 h needed a 6 foot.
14 h one best fits a 6 foot. So if you can't work out what size the present one is, maybe guess at 6 foot minimum for a 14.2, depends how long she is in the back.
It doesn't matter if it's a bit loose, better this than a bit tight - they tend to stay in place if they fit well.
Perhaps you can borrow a couple to try or get 2nd hand until you know her size, then invest in a good one. There are some other recent threads on here about the best long lasting waterproof ones, the cheaper ones just seem to let in water.
The lesson I have learned - don't wash rugs.
I agree with Red1 about the fixed/detachable necks - anyway she's not the delicate sort that needs protection against every raindrop.
I have found Shires rugs to be quite roomy round the shoulders, but not so great on staying waterproof. My (very old) Weatherbeeta is tight across the chest, but then designs may change.
For as long as the weather is reasonable, let her out unclipped without a rug, just use them for very wet and windy or extremely cold - better for her. Her fur will grow through again. And you can continue to wear your lovely new boots!
Thank you so so much for all your help, it's really appreciated and has helped so much!

bea2678

Visit site
The rug is 5'9 with a detachable neck and is the brand weatherbeta. So will try some new, bigger ones out for her
I just wanted to say a hugeee thank you to everyone who commented, this was my first time on a forum and it has helped so much being able to ask questions but also see past questions etc other people have asked. Feel like I have a much better understanding on rugs now!

Attachments

• IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 11