Rug Selling..etiquette..?

xDundryx

Visit site
Hi, I have a quiery.. I have all my 6 9 rugs from my lovely tb (RIP Mr D).. some really good rugs, weatherbeeta freestyle, Masta stable rug etc etc.. all bought brand new for him last winter and as we lost him in spring they had very little use (3 months max) and have been stored in the (teeny)shed ever since as they don't fit my other boy and already overflowing with the gingers kit at the yard.. question is.. is it the done thing to sell them without being washed? Will people still buy them? (they will already be cheap as I need the space so need them gone soon and extra knocked off due to being a bit muddy etc)

I was going to keep them as I will eventually be looking for another friend for the ginger but thanks to work it'll be around 12 months before I can enjoy horsehunting. I know this sounds bad but I begrudge paying £10/£15 per rug having them cleaned when I won't be asking for big money for them? But somebody will get a nearly new freestyle for say £40/45 so it's a trade off..(especially as that one in particular was expensive. Thoughts anyone?

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
If they aren't too dirty I would give the outsides a quick wipe with a damp cloth to get the worst off, then state in the advert that they haven't been washed yet as they don't really need it, and that the price reflects that.

MissTyc

Visit site
I put all mine on Ebay after my gelding died.

Started them very cheap, got photos of them in all their muddy glory - all were fit for purpose/waterproof/etc - just muddy, hairy and stinky.

They all sold for decent money (about 50% of retail, can't complain). Up to the new owners if they want to wash/reproof/disinfect!

xDundryx

Visit site
Thanks :) I'm new to selling horsey stuff and was having a flap! I'm thinking honest ads some pics and cheap, is ebay the best place to sell them or preloved/fb?

montanna

Visit site
Thanks :) I'm new to selling horsey stuff and was having a flap! I'm thinking honest ads some pics and cheap, is ebay the best place to sell them or preloved/fb?

Yes thats fine, I would tend to advertise on my local fb group first - have sold lots on there and you usually get a good response. Saves postage as most collect.

MiniMilton

Visit site
I'd keep the best ones. It'll kill you to be paying hundreds for new ones in a year if a new horse is the same size.

You get so little for second hand rugs regardless if they are a bit muddy or immaculate so save on the cleaning and just tidy up with a brush and a damp cloth

vam

Visit site
Oooh this is timely! There is a equestrian car boot coming up this weekend and i was wondering if i could sell a couple of rugs even thou they haven't been washed. Nothing wrong with them other than being dirty, i just dont really use indoor rugs anymore. Think i will drag them out and give them a good brush off and take them :)

xDundryx

Visit site
Oooh this is timely! There is a equestrian car boot coming up this weekend and i was wondering if i could sell a couple of rugs even thou they haven't been washed. Nothing wrong with them other than being dirty, i just dont really use indoor rugs anymore. Think i will drag them out and give them a good brush off and take them :)

Psychic ability..or overflowing garden shed ;)

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd try facebook and preloved first to avoid ebay fees. People will clean even clean looking rugs (to avoid bringing unseen nasties (lice, ringworm etc) onto their horse) so most don't care if they are muddy/ hairy ot not.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm a rug selling pro! I get bored and sell them for newer or better ones when I see sales bargains ;) I've found fairly little difference in how much the same rug sells for dirty or cleaned. I certainly don't re proof to sell.
If possible with smaller rugs I wash myself in the machine. Recently I sold a Bucas turnout and scrubbed it dry with one of those new "magic brushes" came up really well.
I'd say more importantly is timing your eBay listing- so they don't end at a time most people are at work or in bed! I've had my best bargains on eBay when an item ends at 2am!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't either buy or sell a rug unless it had been washed; but that's just me I guess, and as a buyer I'd expect the price to reflect the fact that the item was clean.

As a seller I'd be very embarrassed to sell anyone a mucky rug! - and the asking price would reflect the fact that the rug had been professionally cleaned. But like I say, this is just me, probably being over-facetious :)

Highlands

Visit site
Try Rugs Rugs Rugs on facebook. Being dirty does not bother me at all easy to get it cleaned and I will do it anyway if I was unsure of it bring done. Why not say if the person will pay for cleaning then you are happy to get them done at their cost. I had two cleaned and reproofed Rambos and a rambo fly for £70, bargain! Supreme and a wug

mandwhy

Visit site
I sell them unwashed as like you say the cost of washing them is quite high, so why faff around with it when you can sell it as it is and they can do it, potentially themselves. I sold one for a tenner of an unknown brand, wasn't going to use it again, bought it second hand already for 20 last year, it is warm so saves the person paying on out a new HW, if I had washed it I could have charged 25 at a push but then there are so many good bargains online I would personally rather buy new as they are always most waterproof.

If its an expensive brand of rug I would get it washed as those seem to hold quite good value like rhino and the advanced premier equine ones.

Fallenrose

Visit site
I recently sold a rug on Ebay. I was honest about its condition (a few stable stains but not filthy) and someone bought it no problem. Got a decent price for it :). I received positive feedback 'Item just as described...'

As long as you are honest in the ad. then it will be fine :).